Is firewire neccesary for video editing?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ICutWithMacs, Jun 13, 2010.

1. ICutWithMacs macrumors member

hello, i am about to get either a macbook or macbook pro 13". should i go for the cheaper macbook? or should i get the macbook pro just because of the fire wire??? thanks :confused:

2. xStep macrumors 68000

You'll want firewire if your camera has firewire. Specifically, miniDV & HDV cameras use firewire to exchange their video with computers.

There is/was an older miniDV type of camera that used USB, but those do not work with any Apple applications. The only way to get video from them is to use a box that takes in a signal from RCA or S-Video and converts it. Ironically this is usually a USB device it self, although there are such firewire devices too.

The newer non-tape cameras use USB and many of them are compatible with iMovie and the other video apps on a Mac. But do some research before buying.

3. ICutWithMacs thread starter macrumors member

ok thanks. the camera i use is a canon t2i (usb 2.0). but i think firewire is alot faster than usb for a external hardrive.

4. FutureTechHope macrumors member

FutureTechHope

Yup, firewire is faster than USB.

5. xStep macrumors 68000

OK, the Canon EOS Rebel T2i uses cards; SD memory card, SDHC memory card, SDXC Memory Card.

The new Macbook Pros have an SD card slot. No further specs than "SD card slot", so I don't know what that means for compatibility with the three options listed for the camera.

If your card for the Canon is compatible with the slot on the Mac, than it may be faster to plug the card into the Mac.

6. handsome pete macrumors 68000

I think the issue of SD slot vs. USB is negligible. You're only transferring files, so it's not that big of a deal either way.

I think the original question has more to do with whether or not firewire was necessary for editing. I would say yes, simply because you'll get better transfer rates on external drives.

7. xStep macrumors 68000

Oh yea, great point.

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

And for professional users with their lightening fast CP cards, that's gonna be an issue.

Honestly.. Dunno why Apple changed to SD slot, can't they kept the original and more flexible ExpressCard34 and make consumer buy add-ons? They're not that expensive!

9. xStep macrumors 68000

Ditto on the ExpressCard 34. At least the high end 15" Macbook Pro should have this option.