Is Flash causing my MBP to crash?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SephirothXR, Jun 30, 2010.

1. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

My year old MBP is at the stage where it starts to slow down [most of the time in Safari/Firefox], the beachball appears [and doesn't go away], and then I have to forcefully restart the computer (no other apps will work after this). Only things I do/downloaded for my MBP are internet, MS office, Skype, and the apps that came with the MBP. So if Flash is causing the problems, what can I do? Reinstall it? I've never seen two browsers crash consistently, I would imagine it has to be Flash. Thoughts [as to what it could be if it isn't Flash]?

2. sadcamper macrumors regular

3. belvdr macrumors 603

One thing to try is to go to the latest version. Are there any sites that crash both browsers?

I'm also wondering if you've downloaded some apps that have background processes that are causing more harm than good.

4. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

My brand new MBP beachballs about once a day in Safari, sometimes on simple pages, sometimes on complex ones. It seems pretty random, and almost any action can cause it (clicking a link, refreshing a page, closing a browser window, opening top sites, etc.) If you experience similar issues, it would seem to be a bug in OSX or Safari rather than a flash problem

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Are you using the latest version of flash? Because (according to Firefox) using an old version can cause some problems. :eek:

6. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

It is possible because Jobs has said that one thing that can consistently crash a mac is flash. Thats why he doesn't want to use it and went with HTML5 in the ipad instead of flash.

Top Reason Macs Crash

7. Lokrado macrumors regular

download this, if its flash this will fix it
    clicktoflash.com
    it disables loading flash, you can then click to load it - great little app

8. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

That is a great app, I've been using it since day 1. Unfortunately, it doesn't fix the beach ball issue.

9. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

13" MBP, 4 GB RAM, Core 2 Duo 2.26 Ghz.. though now it's not always flash necessarily.. Safari had the beach ball come up at this page (the page where I type this post), and it's not using Flash anywhere on the page from what I can see. I look at background processes and don't see anything taking up space. I would take it to the genius bar but the nearest Apple store is 1.5 hours away, I guess I'll go there if anything really screws up.

10. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

+1 on clicktoflash. It's an excellent tool in Safari and will really help with Flash crashing so often.