Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mykidisgollum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Just upgraded to a new MBA 2012 - very satisfied. I primarily browse in safari, but I have chrome installed for anytime I need an Adobe Flash required website.

There was a time when Adobe Flash player seemed to be described as absolutely terrible on macs - maligned by even Steve Jobs.

However, Adobe has updated a few times, and I'd be interested in hearing from folks using Mountain Lion - is flash player still the battery eating nightmare it was?

I'm considering installing natively on my Macboook Air. Let me know your thoughts.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Flash is notorious for consuming system resources, raising temps and decreasing battery life. For Flash-related issues:
  • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
  • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
  • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) Some have reported better performance with HTML5, while some have reported worse. Try it and find out what works best for you.

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
I have flash installed for safari but use click to flash as a safari extension to only enable when needed. This should control any crazy battery drainage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.