Is flash that bad and is that why apple does not use flash.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nec207, Feb 16, 2012.

1. nec207 macrumors 6502

-- flash is bloated does not work well on computers more than 5 years old ( computer not fast enough )

-- flash does not work well on OS and browsers that are old.

--flash is bad for malware.

People tell me not to use flash it will slow you computer down and make you computer run hot.

Also saying apple does not use flash do to it is way to heavy RAM ,CPU and video and the problem with malware.

Saying that flash with iPhone or iPad would slow it way down and get so hot it may overheat.

Other people say the technology is not owned by Apple .

Can some clear up these myths about flash.

2. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

There are no myths about flash.

- Flash is badly coded and causes mobile devices to run hot and drains battery power quick. FACT.

Apple don't own flash. True. Adobe do and even they have stop supporting it.

Why are people so hung up about it I don't know. HTML5 is the way forward.

3. AdrianK macrumors 68020

For video streaming, flash is a lot more processor intensive than h264 (via HTML5). You don't have to take my word for it, try a 1080p youtube video on flash while monitoring CPU usage, then enable HTML5 and try again. Less CPU usage leads to less heat and less power consumption.

4. samiwas macrumors 65816

All I know is that using safari, almost any page that has even a flash banner ad or little news window on it (lets face it, they almost all do), causes safari to freeze and beach ball for about 5 seconds. For some reason, I've never taken the time to do anything about it.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

That's why I finally switched to Firefox.

I also use ClickToFlash. :D

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

The same for HTML5 though. I really do not understand the Flash hate. Yeah, its screwed up on us sometimes, but it works fine the majority of the time. I've had more trouble with HTML5 than I have with Flash.

7. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Flash is still very much alive. Adobe has discontinued flash on mobile devices.

The benefit of flash is that it's multi platform and works on many browsers.

Flash will work on more desktops than HTML5 currently does. Flash can also do things that HTML5 cannot, or are more difficult using HTML5.

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Flash is going the way of the dodo soon enough.

It's not 2002 anymore. We have new, more efficient technology that does the same thing, but better.

9. nec207 thread starter macrumors 6502

Why do the makers of flash not code it better ?

I hear this new flash is going to cut down on malware with this new sanbox that will be coming out soon.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/02/forcing-flash-to-play-in-the-sandbox/