Is flip4mac no longer working? No download!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Crrisssy, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Crrisssy macrumors newbie

Crrisssy

I'm trying to run wmv files. I see discussions on this topic just in the last couple of days but I can't download flip4mac! My error is "can't find the server at download.microsoft.com"

anyone know what's going on? I all of a sudden can't listen to my sirius radio subscription online! :(

2. ThomasShaped macrumors regular

the microsoft servers are down..? Xbox live has been having trouble lately.. I don't know if that's got anything to do with it but it COULD be related..

3. Crrisssy thread starter macrumors newbie

Crrisssy

maybe so many little tykes got the xbox for Xmas they have exceeded even KingGates' mighty servers! :eek:

4. Slumbercub macrumors regular

5. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

It works for me too *shrug*
    If your still having problems I could upload it to a different server for you to download if you want? :)

6. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

It works for me too *shrug*
    If your still having problems I could upload it to a different server for you to download if you want? :)

If you do, PM me because I don't sub to threads. ;)

7. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I think Crrisssy has confused a problem downloading Flip4Mac with an issue connecting to the streaming content server she's trying to access.

Microsoft does not make Flip4Mac. If it is being offered as a download on a Microsoft server and you're having problems accessing it there I suggest you download it straight from the source instead:

http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv_download.htm

8. Crrisssy thread starter macrumors newbie

Crrisssy

I don't understand. I'm still having the same problem. When I clicked your link above, I route ok to the flip4mac site. When you hit the download button on the first screen, it routes me to the href below: http://download.microsoft.com/downl...-8ea8-8744e42594aa/WM Components 2.2.0.49.dmg and there's my prob. I tried on both of my macs so something's going on...

9. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

That's really strange as that link works perfect for me. I'm uploading it to my server right now for you but if that link above you gave doesn't work then I guess there must be something wrong somewhere that is preventing you from downloading *shrug*

Have you tried clearing your cookies/cache/history etc out and seeing if you can download after. Seems strange that both Mac's giving the same error. I don't know what to say other than try my link in a mo (it's nearly finished now) if that doesn't work I could try emailing it but it's 11MB so might not reach you because of the size.

I'll PM you back...

10. Crrisssy thread starter macrumors newbie

Crrisssy

You're right - that is strange. I'll try dumping my cookies, cache & history but I tried it on two browsers: firefox & safari - so I don't think that's it. I'll also take a look at the flip4mac source code to check the href in the link directly.

11. Crrisssy thread starter macrumors newbie

Crrisssy

Thanks Lisa!!! I was able to use the link, download the file & install. Thanks so much!

I don't know why I couldn't access the other link - that is going to bother me. I'm goin after that prob next!

12. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

Great stuff. I'm glad I could help.

Yes it would bother me too. I guess someone here might be able to help you with that problem but personally I don't have a clue. Glad you got it installed though :D

13. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I have to apologize. I never thought Flip4Mac would be hosting their file on a Microsoft server but that is indeed the case. Sorry about that. The direct link "from the source" as I was saying is indeed on the Microsoft server you're having trouble accessing.

I couldn't venture a guess as to why you're having problems connecting there. It could be at Microsoft's end blocking your IP for some reason or it could be your ISP's end. If clearing your cache and history didn't help I doubt it's a problem on your own machine.

Flip4Mac is a third party product but they are officially sanctioned by Microsoft now that MS is no longer developing Windows Media Player for OS X.

I am glad to hear you finally got the file but if you still want to troubleshoot your connection issues can you access this page?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=915d874d-d747-4180-a400-5f06b1b5e559&DisplayLang=en

If so does the download button there work?

14. willjckey macrumors newbie

Help

Hi,
    I had the same problem as Crrisssy. Lisa is there any chance you can PM me your server link so that i can download flip4mac from there? It seemed to work for crrisssey...
    or if anyone else has another suggestion, it would be greatly appreciated :)

thankyou very much