Is Force Restarting a Mac bad for it?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Derrick Velasco, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Derrick Velasco macrumors regular

I was wondering. Thank you.

EDIT: SORRY I MEANT to say Force Shut Down by holding down the power button.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Generally, yes.

You are cutting the power while it is in the middle of processing, saving, etc. You never know what you might be interrupting.

3. Derrick Velasco thread starter macrumors regular

I hope that it is okay, I was forced to do it several times....

4. GrannieSmith macrumors newbie

Glad you asked this because I've had to do it twice.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You might notice issues with apps that were running at the time, but overall, it shouldn't have affected much.

Why have you needed to force shutdown.

6. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Really depend on what you were doing and what the system was doing. If it doing anything really important and then that you force shut up, you will likely corrupt something somewhere. At last that's what happened on my PC. As far as I know, there's a closing button on the apple menu, you're safer to just use it instead.

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Its generally accepted to be a "bad" thing to do, especially if the computer was reading/writing something to the HDD at the time.

If it was just idle and frozen, I've had to do it many times, windows and mac, never had a negative effect. Maybe I've just gotten lucky.

8. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

When I did it, a cookie monster came and eated me:(

9. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

What means "Eated"?;)

10. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

:D you know very well my friend.

11. Derrick Velasco thread starter macrumors regular

Bootcamp hell with Windows. I had to do it like 9 times..............

:eek:

12. Derrick Velasco thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry for the double post, The Apple Menu was not responding, Not even the color wheel was rendering....

13. CobyL macrumors newbie

I've had to do that more times than I can remember. Not that it is a good thing, I'm sure it is not.

Every time it happens, I just swear a bit, wait about 30 seconds after it shuts off, and restart. It's probably a good idea to do a disk verification afterwards, at least that is what I always do. Sometimes it may be that the drive heading needs fixed or something.

14. Oh-es-Ten macrumors regular

Oh-es-Ten

Officially it is bad to do that on any machine in the middle of an operation, in some cases a core task might be working that should not be shut down.

I was generally always afraid to do it, as any Windows PC I tried that on normally resulted in a re-install of Windows and OS corruption.

However, OS X uses HFS Journaling on the drive which means it is very unlikely that a sudden power off will result in corruption. I have always been amazed at never having to do a re-install or any problems at all really after a having to force power off.

(Touch wood).

15. 199708 macrumors 6502

OSX has crashed on me several times since buying my mac last october. not happy about that.

but most crashes involved safari, finalcut express. formatted in twice, but still consists. having to force shut down is annoying.