Is Force Touch Trackpad Apple's answer to touch screen Windows laptops?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by saintforlife, Mar 24, 2015.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/03/24/inklet-force-touch/

Write and press and draw on the trackpad and leave the screen alone? Is this the direction Apple is heading towards to combat the touch friendly designs of Windows 8 and 10? After all, Apple came out and said they thought reaching out and touching the screen on a laptop using your fingers was bad ergonomics. So I guess since they can't back track now, they need to come up with a different solution.

2. Jayayess1190 macrumors member

Maybe, but is it not thinner than what was used before? I think it has more to do with making machines thinner.

3. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

I think being thinner is a part of it, but the fact that it needs the same pressure everywhere on the pad is key.

The very smooth gestures and overall sensitivity of even the original trackpad are incredible. Apple has stated that vertical touch screens were something they looked into it but they found them awkward.

I think the trackpad could evolve even more. Something a little larger with more "levels" that allows true Wacom-esque precision.

4. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

No, the iPad is the response to those.

I own a Surface Pro 3 and find the only reason I use the touchscreen while in "laptop mode" is because the touchpad sucks. On a non-convertible laptop I don't see any reason to include a touchscreen.

I think people will understand Force Touch more once they put it into an iPad. Being able to "feel" the contents a touchscreen will be a giant breakthrough for iOS software. Just imagine being able to rest your fingers on the virtual keyboard, then feeling them "click" as your actually start typing.

5. leman macrumors 604

I think that Apple was always quite clear about preferring a good trackpad to a toucscreen on a computer. I don't think that the original intent is to 'combat' the touchscreen machines, but rather their own idea of improving how users interact with computers. The have introduced multi-touch and basic tablet functionality on computer trackpads long before touchscreen became mainstream on Windows machines. Pressure sensitivity is an obvious next evolutionary step.