Is game data (game saves) transferred to new phone when you upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nippyjun, Jun 8, 2009.

1. nippyjun macrumors 65816

When you backup your iphone is your save game data backed up. And when you restore a phone or get a new phone does that game data get transferred to the new phone or restored phone?

2. nachtxeule macrumors member

everything is binded to your itunes account, like xbox live.

3. nippyjun thread starter macrumors 65816

Just to clarify.

When i activate my new iphone and sync it to itunes will my save games transfer to the new phone. I don't want to have to restart some of my games again.

Thanks.

4. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Yes.

Do you want me to type it in other languages for you to understand any easier?

5. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

what?
    on both xbox live and iTunes, game SAVES are not bound to your account and transfered over to a server for access from anywhere

xbox saves are kept on the hard drive, iPhone saves are kept on flash memory.

now, to answer the OP...
    YES your saves will transfer IF YOU BACK UP and then restore from that backup on your new phone

if you set it up as a new phone instead of restoring from a backup, then your saves are toast, unless its a game where the developer keeps saves on a private server that they own just for their app (and i cant think of any that do this)

6. nachtxeule macrumors member

iphone saves are kept on the drive WHAT WHAT? DUR.

ever heard of back up? when you sync your phone, all your saves go to itunes.

now unless you reformat your xbox or mac/pc then you would understand what i meant by binds to your account. because if you log as another user, your saves are gone until relogging.

man forums are stupid.

7. mirotana macrumors newbie

well i just got my new iphone 4 and did a full backup on my iphone3 then 10min later restored it all on my new phone. my game saves for tap resort and office heros are gone. all the other game saves are fine. which is annoying because so much time was spent on it. yeah lame if you're not into those sort of games but what ever. money was also invested in it. so no need to get snappy at people wanting to clarify the answer properly cause obviously it's not always the case.

8. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

Honestly, I think it depends on the way the developers designed the game.

I'm talking out of my butt because I have no technical knowledge of developing.

9. Limey77 macrumors regular

It all depends upon the game in question.

Games including iMobsters, Racing Live, Farm Story all store your game on their servers. Usually if you look in the FAQ or help on your old device there will be info on transferring to a new device.

Usually you just need to go into the game on the old device set up an account and start tranferring. Then on the new device just redownload the app and log in with your account info and everything should be there.

10. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

So you resurrected a thread from June? Your beef is with the developers then, none of the apps I own have this problem and none of the apps I'm developing have this problem...

11. JCarig macrumors newbie

How to Change Devices Without Losing Your Tap-Ranch Game

So you've been playing Tap-Ranch for a couple of months on your iPhone 3G. You're two-year contract is up and you want the semi-new iPhone 4 with its bells and whistles...

or

You're tired of inadvertently pressing the wrong item on your farm and having the "Move to Storage?" box pop-up because your fingers are too big (or too clumsy) to play it on an iPhone. You want to move it to your new iPad but don't want to lose the hundred dollar investment of Ranch Bucks you've purchased by starting over.

THERE IS A SOLUTION

I recently asked this question to the people who run Tap Ranch...and they responded:

If you can get us your UDID for the old device and the new device we can transfer your game from our side.

1. connect your device or device to PC or MAc
    2. start iTunes
    3. click "device" on the left column. This will take you to a new page that has a summary of your device information
    4. click on serial number. This will toggle to "identifier (udid)"
    5. copy/paste and email us this udid

Reply back and clearly indicate which UDID belongs to which device.

If you don't have your old device anymore, please follow the steps below to find the UDID only if you have previously synced your device to your computer. If you've never synced your phone before, then it's not possible to find the UDID anymore. NOTE: these steps are only for Windows 7. You can still find the UDID if you have a Mac or another windows operating system, but the names of the folders will be a little different. Please ask someone who understands computers more if you need further help.

12. Evelina69 macrumors newbie

This is great info.
    What is the email address to contact Tap Resort please:)