Is gaming/a wii for me?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Aperture, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

I know this is an unusual question.. and it may seem pretty obvious to know the answer but I'm clueless.

I've never really been into gaming that much, especially the "hardcore" games like Halo, Rainbow 6, etc. I'm not that good at them and I don't find them a lot of fun.

In fact, I used to have a 360 but sold it because I felt bad about not using it as much as I should. I've been looking at a Wii lately because of the "more fun cartoon-y" games and the actual interaction you have with the game. I'm not really sure if it will just sit around and end up on eBay or if I'll actually enjoy it.

I know there isn't much anyone can do considering this is more of a personal opinion question but I was hoping for maybe someone else in my situation or any other advice. :)

2. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

well since you have already had a 360 and know thats not what you are looking for GO FOR IT!

This winter=so many good games! Have you seen/heard of Super Mario Galaxy?

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

First of all I say check eBay and see what the resale value of the systems are in your country. Here you can more or less buy one retail and sell it on eBay when theres another shortage for what you paid. So even if you did buy one and didn't like it then you wouldn't lose out on much!

All I can suggest really is go play one first. I'm sure you'll find a demo station somewhere. Wii Sports is the mutts nuts, I still play that every weekend. There are plenty of "casual" games out on the system and even more cheap ones on the Virtual Console.

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I think its worth a try, I love my Wii(but then again I love my Xbox 360 too)

A lot of non gamers are enjoying Wii, but its all on a personal basis.....I'd certianly think its worth a try

5. Aperture thread starter macrumors 68000

Aperture

Thank you everyone! I think I'm gonna try to get out to a Game Stop to try one out. I really want to try Wii Sports. By the way, does anyone know if there is a way to connect the Wii to an LCD monitor as opposed to a TV?

Thanks

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

You had an Xbox 360, period, which in my book, means you're more of a gamer than I. ;) I've only ever had two systems-- a DS lite and a Wii.

I had my first Wii for about three months but it was the ex's and there weren't any games I wanted to play personally (ooh, but I did enjoy Raman's Raving Rabbids). But I just got my 2nd Wii a week or so ago and with the games that have come out since then? I've been enjoying myself.

I am not a gamer, nor do I have mobs of people over to play against. But I'm enjoying myself and like others have said, if you find that you're really not enjoying the system, their still in such demand w/ not enough quantities that you can easily sell it for MSRP even used. :)

7. sal macrumors 6502

can you even get a Wii? Last time I tried(about 3 weeks ago)they were sold out.

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

It's hard but not as hard as it was even six months ago.

There are various wiitrackers on the 'net. And especially if you're willing to "settle" for a bundle, you could score one sooner rather than later.

Hell, Amazon had it up for a good chunk of time-- took orders, then bumped the ship date further back, then said "backordered," then they took down the whole Wii page. :D

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

My city's been sold out for months, but Fred Meyers had seven last time I went in. GameStop's still sold out.

Check stores like Fred Meyers; few gamers shop there because they have a poor selection, but they DO get the hardware in.

To the OP:

Yes! Even my mom plays on the Wii occasionally, she loves the bowling, and she HATES video games. I'm sure you play more games than her :)

No need to be into the 'hardcore' games, just be into games you can enjoy. I'd recommend WarioWare, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Super Mario Galaxy, Excite Truck, and in January, Mario Kart...

You may or may not like Zelda (it's an action/adventure game, the combat is swordfighting but the game is designed around the idea of exploring a large world and solving puzzles) or Metroid (a first person shooter/adventure, with more of a focus on puzzles and a sci-fi story than on shooting things), but they're both awesome and until Super Mario Galaxy comes out next week are definitely the best (and longest) games on the Wii.

10. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

The Wii is for you then, it's a good pick up and play system especially for the price.

Alternately you could try to go the used route and pick up an older system like the NES or SNES (SNES especially recommended), there's a whole lot of solid, worth-your-while games of yesteryear worth playing even if on a part-time basis.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

12. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

and have the added benefit of suspending your game by going back to the Wii menu before power down. Great for old games that didn't have a save feature that you want to play in bursts rather than the old marathon session.

I even prefer it to saving in games that have it since you start exactly where you left off rather than a save point (but don't neglect save points, you can still die in the game).

13. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Eh...those things aside, I'd rather own the actual console + the game for the console. ;)

Most of those VC titles are overpriced for what you can get them used (here in the US at least) and I'd prefer the actual NES or SNES controller as well. God I miss those controllers...:(

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You guys can get the Zelda and Metroid series games for less than the VC?! Wow.

15. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I say the Wii is for you. I never played my 360 at all but now I play my Wii all the time :D

16. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

A wii should be good for you. Try some games like:
    -Super Mario Galaxy
    -Mario Kart (2008)
    -SSB Brawl (2008)
    -and maybe even guitar hero

check out some game site like IGN.com or Nintendo to search through a list of games to see what you might like :).