Is gaming on this truly futile?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by arachnomancer, May 3, 2015.

1. arachnomancer macrumors newbie

First of all, I still haven't been able to see one in person (Tegucigalpa, Honduras), but I own a 13 inch 2013 MBA with 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB, with that apparent **** set up I have played Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Divinity Original Sin, Civ V, and currently Republique and Deponia with no hiccups at all, except the ocasional noisy fan and hot bottom.

AFAIK the 1.3 ghz Macbook actually has a better internal Intel Graphics card and more RAM than I do on my Air, so why shouldn't I be able to play with it equally or better than I do on my Air?

2. KrisLord macrumors 6502a

I don't have my MacBook yet but from reading reviews, the thermal limitations of the fanless design mean the HD 5300 can't run at 100% for long. So whilst on paper it's better than your existing machine, it's not really.

3. TommyBoy5 macrumors member

Candy Crush on Facebook cuts my battery life in half and makes the machine run hot.

It's just a little flash game so I would have a lot of concern about running anything substantial on this laptop.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

flash destroys all macs. They hate flash =/

5. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Yeah Flash is terrible so I wouldn't consider Candy Crush a "light game".

6. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

side note: Why the hell does HBO require flash! That is literally the only reason I have it installed on my mac. You would think they would use html5 being apple exclusive for the first few months.

7. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

I made a thread of how to reasonably game on the rMB while at home if you happen to have a desktop computer lying around.

8. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I played a game of League of Legends on my 1.3 GHz and it worked great :)

9. freddy418 macrumors newbie

The graphics in the rMB are actually much worse (60% less hardware and not to mention lower frequency).RAM/CPU matters less for games once you have enough.

You would have to play those games at much lower settings on a rMB and because it doesn't have a fan to cool itself, make sure to not play those games in your lap if you value your future offspring.

10. bibyfok macrumors 6502

bibyfok

I just played on it Heroes of the storm and Diablo 3 on low settings @30-60fps

11. Nee412 macrumors 6502

Me and my girlfriend played a little bit of Civ 5 whilst putting the rMB through its paces in the Bullring Apple Store. We both came away impressed with its performance. I can't speak about frame rates, but it will play similar games without much issue. The quality wasn't amazing, but as others have said in the other threads on this topic it isn't a gaming laptop.

What it is though is a very impressive fanless machine. It handled everything I threw at it. I was mainly concerned with its safari capabilities, but my girlfriend threw everything at it. She was editing on pixelmator, whilst trying out FCPX, looking up some random things safari (pictures I think), and playing Civ 5.

She really wanted to get the thing to choke so she could point me in the direction of a 5K iMac instead. Her dream machine. Interesting she failed. Now she wants both. I'm not sure if me letting her try it has backfired or not...

I shall let my bank decide that.

12. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Runs Minecraft perfectly well, which suits my son fine :)

13. lostboyz macrumors member

lostboyz

Went to stress test 1.3/512 on a game of Dota 2, and it didn't disappoint me.

14. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Oh wow. That's the turning point for me.

What settings, what res, and what FPS?

15. lostboyz macrumors member

lostboyz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

You ever played Candy Crush on a rMBP? Same story, except with fan noise. ;)

17. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Not bad! Not bad at all.

Is gameplay smooth? (Any lagfest when a major fight happens?)

18. lostboyz macrumors member

lostboyz

it was smooth and the cpu / graphic handle it very well.

19. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I don't play Dota but yeah my experience with League has been surprisingly pleasant as well :p

20. Fthree macrumors 6502a

what is league of legends and should i be playing it?

21. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

It's a pretty popular online game (pc/windows). It's really addictive so be prepared for it to take over your life if you start :p

22. Fthree macrumors 6502a

How would a Mac user get access to it?

23. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

24. Dayv macrumors 6502

I've been replaying Portal 2 on my 1.2 rMP and it works at least as well as my 2009 13" MBP did. Haven't checked the framerate yet.

25. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

tried to watch the "Project Car" video review on IGN. lags horribly on 1080P playback and even lags some at 720P...

I know it's not exactly gaming. but you get the point. ;)