is gaming possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Dsr1205, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

is gaming possible? iv been wanting a MB but i know i will want to do some gaming... so MBP i guess?

2. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

It depends on the type of games you want to play. MB can play older games as well as some current ones such as EVE and WoW. You won't be playing high intensive graphics games because MB doesn't have a great graphics card.

Bottom line is if you want your machines for gaming go directly for the MBP because you'll be MUCH happier.

3. DCSMAC macrumors member

will it play halo 1? Also, is halo 1 universal or does it have to run under rosetta?

4. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

It will certainly play Halo. The game was updated to Universal Binary, but depending on where you buy it, you might have to pay a fee for the update.

5. flir67 macrumors 6502

if your going to do any gaming, get a macbook for your self and then go get a refurbished dell for like 300.00 most of them are c2d amd's work fine for the latest gaming...

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

if by certainly you mean on the lowest settings and windowed mode. i still get freezeups during action scenes on my mb with the gma 950

7. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

i really can't fathom playing games other than like, NHL 08 or whatever on an xbox. and i really couldn't comprehend buying a mbp to play games on.

8. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

MBPs are better for gaming due to the graphics card. If you're going to be worried about games on your laptop you will be safer with the MBP than the MB because certain games will not run on a MB. Halo runs but not smoothly. Any game that is graphic intensive will not run well on a MB, it's just the way the machine is built.

9. thies macrumors regular

2d games run great. 3d is restricted to games a couple of years old on low settings.

10. Jamesikles macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone had experience running Day of Defeat: Source and similar games on the Macbook?

Thanks

11. Jpoon macrumors 6502

I wouldn't really recommend playing games like WoW on a Macbook. It's an overall unsatisfying experience because, simply put, this machine wasn't made for graphic intensive games!

My girlfriend uses a MBP to play Wow, but it still gets pretty hot so she puts it on a cooling pad.

But, don't expect too much from a laptop with an integrated video card!

You can generally make a decent tower yourself for gaming for about 1200 bucks or less these days, assuming you just want to play the games decently and not at the highest frame rate.

12. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Yeah I just got a Macbook and gaming is pretty much out of the question unless the game is over 6 years old. Might even have to be older.

WoW is 3 years old and gets 25 fps on the lowest settings. Not really acceptable. PLus the fans kick in rather loudly and the laptop gets hot.

So yeah MBP if you want gaming. or get a MB and then build your own gaming pc for $500 which would be faster than the MBP at gaming and you'd probably still be out less money than a MBP.