Is gazelle a rip off?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xNYMetsx, Oct 16, 2013.

1. xNYMetsx macrumors 6502

xNYMetsx

Looking to sell my MacBook Pro and wondering where it's best to sell. Any suggestions?

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

you may not get as much but it is easy and painless. got 190 for my wifes 4s and 320 for my 5. free postage and shipping box no worry about scams.

3. Entopia7 macrumors regular

I just used Gazelle for my iPhone 5 and it was AWESOME. Very fast, super easy, made $325.

Their prices for macbooks, though, leave much to be desired.

4. Sdreed91 macrumors 6502

Since no one else is answering in regards to your MBP, yes it is a rip off. There is some real butt ****ery going on when selling your laptops.

5. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Agreed. I thought I'd quote a price because Gazelle is so good with iPhones. I was horrified at how low they pay. The extra hassle with eBay or Craigslist is worth it.

6. Sdreed91 macrumors 6502

Exactly. They are good for phones and tablets but utterly abysmal with laptops.

7. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

It's a rip off but if people are lazy and just want to get rid of something then a company like Gazelle has it's place.

If it's a ripoff to someone they should just take the time to use craigslist. You will deal with scammers etc, which some people want to avoid.

All up to you, and what you value your time at.

8. triplelucky macrumors regular

Around here if you were to price it right and put it on Craigslist it would be sold in an hour or two.

In that time you would have a list of local buyers and could choose who you like the best.

If you meet them in a public place, demo the Macbook , and get the cash its hard to do better than that.

9. MeUnix macrumors 6502

As others have said, Gazelle is good for phones but not for laptops. They offered me $120 for one of my MacBook's and $200 for my iPhone 4S.

I'd go with eBay, personally.

- Kyle

10. lcseds macrumors 6502a

My mid 2011 13" i7 256GB MBA came back with a quote a little over $400. I'm quite sure I could get $800. It still has Applecare which Gazelle cares not about. However, I have sold stuff to Amazon on the cheap because I *hate* Craigslist and *really hate* eBay. But that is a bit too low, so if I sell, it will be Craigslist.

11. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Gazelle is quick easy money... because they buy it cheaper from you.

12. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

Gazelle makes it very easy, but they lowball you. Others? Amazon and eBay. Maybe Craigslist if you're into contact sports.

13. sk24iam macrumors regular

It's not a rip off. Gazelle isn't meant for people who want to get the most money for their phone. If you want to put in the effort to get top dollar, sell your phone on Craigslist or eBay. Gazelle is for people who want a quick, easy, and less risky option of exchanging their phone for cash. They won't rip you off. They will offer you less money because once they buy your phone from you they will resell it on eBay to make a profit for themselves. If they didn't offer less money they wouldn't be in business any more. I've used Gazelle and had a great experience with them.

14. greenythebeast macrumors regular

Rip off? No. Best value? No. It all depends on how much work you want to put into selling the device. If you want it quick and easy, you have to sacrifice some of the value.

15. Alphabetize macrumors 6502

Alphabetize

Gazelle does buy your devices at a low price, then they sell high on eBay. I wouldn't say they rip you off, but they actually make it very convienient to get some cash from your devices without the hassle of using eBay and possibly dealing with bad buyers and such.

16. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Gazelle offered me a little over $200 for my mid-2009 MBP with a bad SATA cable. I listed it as fair, I think, since it turns on but gets the flashing folder instead of booting. People on craigslist were low balling me as low as $75.

So I'd say Gazelle is fine for older laptops that may have some issues. They don't sound good for ones that are usable.

See what Apple will give you as a trade-in.

17. inboxer macrumors regular

I've used Gazelle to sell a few devices years ago. Their service is top notch and they pay fast but their prices are definitely on the low side and they do not buy all models. I've also sold over a dozen different devices to BuyBackWorld, which paid me higher prices, especially for smartphones, tablets, and my macbook pro. They also paid me the quote and fast.

18. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

I got 60 bucks for a black 16 GB AT&T iPhone 4 with a broken screen.

I checked the price for white 16 GB AT&T iPhone 4, and it was $115. I went to best buy and the max trade in value was $135. The guy didn't even look at the condition of the phone, and I got max value even though the phone has a few deep scratches in the frame.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They can't offer very high or when they resell the stuff, they can't make any money.

They need to offer low, repair whatever needs fixing, and then resell it.

20. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

How can they rip you off? They make you an offer that you accept or reject. All is out in the open. Ripoff is if send in the unit and don't get the check.

21. pat.micunnis macrumors regular

I went to Gazelle and Nextworth. The prices were dramatically different.. Gazelle offered $430 and Nextworth offered $517

2010 15" i5 2.53ghZ