Is Geekbench a good test for feeling of speed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mkitchen, Mar 5, 2011.

1. mkitchen macrumors member

I need a new mac for HD video editing and i need to get it in the next two weeks. It looks like I can't wait for the new iMacs then. According to geekbench, the 2.0 i7 quad Macbook Pro is almost the same speed as the iMac 2.93 quad i7 (imac wins by 200). I know benchmarks are sometimes bogus in feeling though, so can anyone tell me how accurately this will tell me? If they are the same, then my thought would be to get the Macbook Pro as I can get an SSD and make it almost the same price ($1839 to $1899) plus I can take it with me or at least to the couch. I don't game so I don't care about the graphics card, as FCE mainly utilizes the CPU.

Any thoughts?

(P.S. I guess the macbook pro would end up being a bigger investment as I would need to buy another external monitor and bluetooth mouse/keyboard < 300)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

GeekBench tests the CPU and memory so in this case, it is an okay indicator as FCE uses mainly CPU and RAM. However, all but Compressor are single-threaded in FCE so it cannot take full advantage of all cores but luckily the Turbo is very effective in new MBPs.