Is getting a MacBook Pro with an SSD the same as getting a MacBook Air with Flash?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MilkMan4, Jun 22, 2011.

1. MilkMan4 macrumors regular

Im gonna be getting my first macbook soon, and i'm trying to decide which to get. First off, I'm waiting for the new MBA's to come out to see what they come with, and the new processors. But I was wondering if i were to get the base 13" MBP with the SSD, would that be practically the same machine as the Base 13" MBA with 4gb ram?? I really like the idea of having that type of storage. Also, does anybody have any thoughts on if the new MBA's will have a standard 4gb ram instead of 2??

2. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

+1 I'm curious too.

As far as the RAM though, we can only speculate. I'd find it logical that 4GB became standard.

3. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

Base 13" mbp+ssd = better than 13" mba (better processor,backlit keyboard, more ports).
    It won't be that thin and light though, if you care that much.
    I say wait and see, maybe apple will refresh their MacBook too. And if they do, i'm 100% sure it will have 4gb as standard. And I hope I can say the same for the air ;)

4. brucebrendon, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011

brucebrendon macrumors regular

tho the new MBA will likely clear most of those up (hopefully).
    new processor
    BL keyboard
    Thunderbolt

I'm keen to get an 11" + a big screen (either an :apple:one with USB ports or :apple:TV).
    my MBP isn't the same as my old MBA for portability, sofa surfing and ends up getting wired down.

tho i'm not so keen on the battery life difference between the two.
    depending on MBA spec i might be better to keep what i have and wait on iPad3 – tho i do prefer my eggs in one basket...

while this doesn't answer your SSD question as a 1st gen MBA owner i would recommend you check out the fan noise first (i just checked on the current 2nd gen and there are still issues with the fan).
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2631985?start=15&tstart=0
    my MBP only gets this if a process goes rogue like 'Quicklook helper' or 'ATSserver', but MBA was with most video – which was annoying.

5. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

As said in the previous posts, a base MBP + SSD is much better than a current MBA!

6. MilkMan4 thread starter macrumors regular

so what i'm seeing is that the MBP would still be a better performer, even with both having SB processors?

but if performance is the same i guess what i will have to make a decision on is screen resolution (better in air) and optical drive/backlit keyboard (in pro)

7. seb-opp macrumors 6502

The next air getting the SB processor will bring the gap closer, but still, the MBP will be more powerful. If you're not bothered about the extra weight of the MBP, you get so many more benefits: you can upgrade the RAM and SSD, or replace the optical drive with a HDD or second SSD.

8. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

All Sandy Bridge processors are not created equal.

the MBA will have lower power (as in fewer watts) versions of the SB processors. They will also likely be clocked a bit lower.

The only benefit of the MBA is portability. If portability is important to you, there is really no substitute and you will come up with ways to deal with less processing power, less drive capacity and less battery life.

9. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

The screen res is much better on the 13" Air as well, isn't it?

10. techwhiz macrumors 6502a

MBA Screen

Yes.
    The 11" Air has about the same resolution as the 13" MBP.
    The 13" Air has about the same resolution as the 15" MBP.

11. macrominnie macrumors member

The summary about "resolution" could be conveyed more clearly.

It 13" Air does have the same number of total pixels as the 15" MBP (1440×900), but the pixel density is higher on the 13" MBA 128 vs 110 ppi (for the non "Hi res" 15" screen).

The 11" MBA has both more pixels (25,088 more: 1366×768 vs. 1280X800) and a higher pixel density (135 ppi vs. 113) than the 13" MBP.

Many were disappointed the the 13" MBP did not improve itself screen resolution compared with the previous model, or at least offer a higher resolution option.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_displays_by_pixel_density#Apple_Inc.