Is getting a Wireless Mighty Mouse for a 2.2 MAcbook wroth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -Josh-, Nov 27, 2007.

1. -Josh- macrumors regular

Hey everyone -
    I'm thinking about getting a wireless Might Mouse soon, but I'm not too sure sense I'm using a Macbook. I'm only traveling a few times a year outside of my house - otherwise, aside from moving around INSIDE of my house, my macbook is otherwise stationary.

Is getting a mighty mouse for a laptop pointless? is it worth the $70?

Thanks,

Josh

2. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

I have one and love it, I actually prefer it to logitek (sp?) mouses. One bonus is that you can operate it with only 1 battery so it is pretty light in my bag. It is a bit overpriced imo, that being said, only you can decide if it is worth $70. Personally, I feel that I made the correct choice.

3. BugHunter macrumors newbie

I hate mine sadly

I would strongly suggest you not get a Mighty Mouse. The scroll ball on the top gets dirty and near uncleanable very easily. While previously I have been able to clean it using various suggestions (alcohol, rub it upsidedown etc) I still haven't been able to fix it the last time it gunked up. I can only scroll up with it now.
    It's also slightly uncomfortable and the can't right click while there's slight pressure and the left mouse button is a pain.
    Some people don't have a problem with it, but if you read around reviews you'll find many many other people feel the way I do.

James

4. Matek macrumors 6502a

Well, since you mention you keep your laptop mostly stationary, I'd recommend a wired mouse. It gives you better responsiveness, you don't have to worry about batteries, and for the same money you'll get a product with more features.

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Personally I wouldn't get a Mighty Mouse. Apple's mice are crap.

Almost any mouse manufacturer would be a better bet — perhaps try Logitech?

6. Sannekita macrumors regular

Sannekita

But isn't apple's mighty mouse the only one that can scroll left-right?

7. tngisaga macrumors member

I've been using a wireless Mighty Mouse for over a year now, and I've been happy with it. I just had to clean the scroll ball recently, but that was as easy as rolling it upside down to get the dirt out. I spend most of my time indoors as well, but I like the convenience of having no wires to deal with. Hope you find a good one.

8. kamiboy macrumors 6502

It is awesome, I really love mine. Much better than using the trackpad, besides using it instead of the trackpad means nu discolouring on the MacBook.

9. thies macrumors regular

If you need it...

side scrolling irritates me more than that it helps. Have a logitech v470 BT mouse which technicly does sidescrolling via a tilting wheel. Have instead bound that motion to trigger expose and spaces, quite awesome.

10. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

We have 4 Wireless Mighty Mice in our house, purchased when they were first released. Two of them are used by my children (11 and 13).

We all love the mouse and have never had any issues with the scroll ball. It's actually one of my favorite Apple products.

11. plickfu macrumors newbie

I've had my wireless Mighty Mouse for two months, and I love it. Yes the trackball gets dirty and it loses responsiveness every once in a while, but then you just clean it and it's good as new. One thing to keep in mind about wired versus wireless mice: the USB ports are on the left side of the Macbook, so, if you are right-handed, the mouse cord will wrap all around your Macbook. Not a huge deal, but very unsightly.
    The wireless Mighty Mouse can also run on one or two batteries. I recommend two because the mouse is light enough anyway, and it gets spectacular battery life (strange for an Apple product!).

12. MacBooksRock macrumors regular

I've had my Mighty Mouse for almost a year, with no problems. The side-scrolling is very handy on some webpages.

13. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

My MS Wireless InteliMouse Explorer 2.0 can do side scrolling as well, though It isn't bluetooth :(

14. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

Logitech MX Revolution = One of the best Mice on the Market.

-Ball bearing smooth scroll wheel
    -side scrolling possible
    -wireless usb
    -fits snugly in your hand (right hand that is)
    -includes second thumb wheel and a
    couple more customizable buttons

15. icechunk macrumors newbie

Problems

I've had two problems with the wireless mighty mouse

1. The scrolling speed is different from my Logitech mouse at home. I have to re-adjust the scroll speed in the system preferences twice every day. But, the problem could be solved by having the same mouse in both places- either Apple or Logitech.

2. Right clicking is extremely unreliable. It works for me about 20% of the time. I've done everything to even taking my hand completely off the mouse and just clicking on the right side, but nothing works. I simply hate the mouse because of this.

If problem # 2 can be solved, I would love the Apple mouse.

16. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

I was in the same position as you last month before buying my Mac.

I was put off because of: Price, Batteries, and lack of 2nd click (coming from Windows)

I bought this: http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=7E50163B&nplm=T4378
    and would highly recommend it! The way the cord reels back into the mouse is so simple, yet helps so much. It's good if you're on the move, but if you're not going to be travelling much then I'd get something else. It can be a tiny bit too small for your hand.

I'd stay with a USB mouse, but if you need all your USB ports (why does the macbook only have 2?!) then I'd get the Apple keyboard as opposed to the mighty mouse.

17. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

Personally I was looking more toward a bluetooth mouse, so I could have the usb ports free for other things. Though currently I have my mouse and other things plugged into a 8 port usb hub....

18. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

I have the wireless mighty mouse, but honestly, I can't recommend it for the reasons others have stated above. It really is an example of form over function. I have nearly stomped on it several times in frustration that I paid $70 for it.

The best bluetooth solution I have seen is from (don't laugh) Dell. I got it with my work PC, but it only comes as a bundle with keyboard. This works beautifully, has a nice feel. I use it for Office stuff, not gaming, so can't talk to it's precision or dpi.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=310-8142

I had a Logitech bluetooth mouse once, but the battery needed changing every two weeks and it had constant pairing issues. YMMV...

19. 10-Dee-Q macrumors 6502

Bandung, West Java, Indonesia & Singapore
    get the razer wirelles mouse instead,
    it's the best bluetooth mouse i ever have, and i have quite a few before, from logitech / microsoft / apple migthy mouse , etc and none of them satisfied me
    I Still use my wired Razer Pro|Solutions at home though, but when i'm on the go i always carry Razer™ Pro|Click™ Mobile.

buy it instead of the mighty mouse, and u;ll thank me later :p

heheheh

here's the link to the product that i'm talking about.

http://www.razerpro.com/

20. dranakin macrumors 6502

I've been using that with my PB for years (Microsoft does make quality mice), before the switch yesterday to...

http://www.everythingusb.com/logitech_mx_revolution_mouse.html

I think the review quote sums it up:
    If you can find it for less than MSRP ($99), pick it up.

21. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Seconded. Great Mouse.

22. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

lol...i paid 69 for mine when it first came out and you can easily find it on the internet for 30 bucks.

I have the mx revolution AND the mx1000 bluetooth keyboard and mouse combo. Surprisingly the logitech bluetooth mouse works like a charge and the battery lasts 3 weeks.

23. agore macrumors member

That's eactly when you NEED a mouse. I got the BT Mighty Mouse with my MBP, and I love it. I use the mouse when I'm home doing photo editing and other graphic apps. When I'm out of the office, I use the touchpad.

24. dranakin macrumors 6502

Uh, no, you can't. http://slickdeals.net/sdsearch.php?&search=logitech mx&mode=forum&perpage=20&pagenum=1

The best recent deal was Amazon's $7 - $10 after rebate on Black Friday, and before that was $37 after rebate. I picked up mine from Dell.com for about $40 when it was on sale. I don't know where you can get this mouse "easily" for $30 from a reputable seller.