Is getting extended warranty a VERY good idea or?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iMacNoob, Apr 18, 2010.

1. iMacNoob macrumors member

I want to get the macbook pro 15", is it worth getting the apple extended warranty?

I think its like $250.

Sounds like allot of $$, but I'm sure repairs aren't cheap!

suggestions?

Also, what replacement hard drives do you guys suggest? (if i want a 7200 rpm)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There are plenty of "Is AppleCare worth it" threads already. Yes, it's a good idea.

3. SteveSparks macrumors 6502a

SteveSparks

If you keep the laptop for more than a year.. Yes.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You have a year to purchase the extended Apple Care, thus you have a year to lay back 20USD a month.

A repair costs more than 250USD, so if the Mac has a hardware failure that was not caused by you, you have saved some money. If nothing happens in the three years the ACPP is valid, so what. I always did it, and will still do it, but I wait the first year and see if my Mac does not get stolen.

And MRoogle has dozens, maybe even hundreds of threads about Apple Care and if it is worth the money.

Also you can use any 2.5" S-ATA HDD to replace the internal HDD.

MRoogle has also thousand of threads about this.

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

One way to look at AppleCare is that it's insurance. Basically if something goes bad during the second or third year AppleCare will cover the cost of fixing it. The repairs could be more than the cost of the AppleCare or they could be less. If you think that you'd able to cover the cost of any repairs needed during that time and don't want to buy AppleCare then you could do that.

Here's my Mac experience over the last 17 years of ownership.

1993 - Performa 600CD (New) never needed any repairs.

1998 - iMac G3 (New) needed CD-ROM replaced under standard 1-year warranty.

2003 - iMac G4 (Refurb) needed logic board replaced under AppleCare during 3rd year.

The iMac G4 is the only Mac I bought AppleCare for and it was the only I ever needed to have it on. I think I paid about $90-$100 on eBay for the AppleCare and I understand that the cost of the logic board replacement is/was somewhere in the neighborhood of $800. So, I guess it was worth it. Looking back in hindsight this iMac G4 was a problem child since the day it came out of the box and I probably should have just returned it to start with, however since the logic board replacement it's been behaving itself.

6. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

the macbook pro in my sig is a free replacment thats on its way from apple for my 2007 mbp that needed to be replaced. Applecare is without question totally worth it

7. Smoothie97 macrumors member

Resale Value

I only keep my laptops for a year or so because I always upgrade to the latest and greatest, yet I still buy Apple Care or extended warranties on laptops. The reason is for resale value! I just sold a late 2008 15.4" MBP (2.66 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 320 GB hard drive) for $1400, only because it had about 2 years of Apple Care protection remaining. If I didn't have Apple Care, I don't think I could get a high resale price. Your future buyer will be more willing to shell out so much money for a used laptop if he knows that he's protected under Apple Care.

8. ttran88 macrumors regular

I, personally, wouldn't purchase it at the same time. You have a year to decide if you want to keep your MBP or not. If you do, then you can easily purchase an applecare before the year ends :) Plus, it spreads out the pain of spending so much moneyzzzz

9. oneprouddaddy macrumors member

oneprouddaddy

I only get it because it is a Mac and I don't have to worry about it for 3 yrs. If it was a windows machine I wouldn't I would just repair it myself. I know that sounds backwards since Windows machines tend to be less reliable than Mac machines but Macs tend to be more expensive, harder to work on, and parts are a ton more expensive than windows machines.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The only disadvantage in doing this is the phone support ends after 90 days. If you wait until the end of the first year to buy AppleCare, you miss 9 months of phone support.

11. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

This. Apple customer service is so good that getting 4 years of it instead of one is well worth the money.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't get 4 years. AppleCare only extends coverage to 3 years from date of purchase. It doesn't add an additional 3 years.

13. youngmac macrumors regular

I have bought my macbook pro in my signature feb 2009, i didn't buy the extended warranty. wanted to buy applecare before feb 2010 but didn't have money. before this one i had a black macbook, didn't buy apple care after one year.