Is gfxcardstatus good?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, May 8, 2010.

1. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

2. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

i have gpuinfomenu which is basically the same thing i think. Its nice to help you save battery life with

3. Dragonforce macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

4. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

gfxCardStatus is wonderful. I've recommended to 4 people in real life that have told me they already have or have ordered a Core i5/i7 MBP.

Useful, tiny footprint, stable, and stays out of your way. Great software.

5. bitninja macrumors regular

bitninja

Not true - gfxCardStatus allows you to switch GPUs and doesn't use trademarked/copyrighted company logos. :)

6. Dferreira87 macrumors member

so far, so good!

so far pretty good. I havent had any problems with it, and it comes in handy when you need to know which GPU is in use. Also, simple to use!

7. Matt 2.x macrumors newbie

It does more than that. It tells you what programs are making it switch to nvidia, it has growl support, and it has support for forcing the use of intel. Now that last reason it is better than yours is a bit buggy, but should get better with version seven which he is almost ready to release.

@origional poster:
    is it a good program? Yes. why? Reasons above. And it just works.

8. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

I wish you could just keep integrated on at all times instead of switching whenever nvidia comes up...

Like lock it into intel graphics and keep it that way unless I do super intensive stuff.

Wow, play a video on YouTube running the Intel "HD" graphics and let me know what you guys think :p

9. Matt 2.x macrumors newbie

10. singhjeet29 macrumors regular

Its a wonderful program. As many here have already indicated, my only issue with it, is that it has black menubar icons, which conflict with my black menubar :p (and I'm too lazy to change the icons at the moment)

11. wandrer2 macrumors member

I've used it since the first version came out. Its reporting is flawless and efficient. The forced switching is new (as of yesterday, I believe), and seems to have some side effects for some people. However, I forced it back to Intel once (Skype was running off nVidia), and all seemed to be fine.