Is ghosting getting worse?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kirky1234, Aug 25, 2012.

1. kirky1234 macrumors member

I received my new rMBP after I returned one which had a loose bottom cover. On the new one I have ghosting which I can't see in my daily workflow but if I make a grey wallpaper, its noticeable. If the ghosting stays like it is now, I can live with it. My work really depends on a MB and I can't work without one, so returning it and waiting a week for the new one to arrive really bothers me. Also my current rmbp is (except the ghosting issue) flawless and I'm feared, that I might get a new one that has worse ghosting or other issues (creaking case, loose bottom, cosmetic issues, dead pixels, etc.) My question is: Should I keep the one I'm having now or might the ghosting get worse with time?

2. phixionalninja macrumors member

My personal experience: I noticed image retention with the grey screen test, and decided not to worry about it since it wasn't apparent during normal use. A few days later, it got to the point where it was definitely visible when editing photos, so I gave Apple a call. I was still within 14 days though, so they're shipping me a new unit while I hang on to the current one. I can't speak to whether it will get worse for you, or whether the process of getting it replaced is worth it, but I did experience worsening image retention.

3. katmeef macrumors 6502

4. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

I went through a bunch of LG screens because of the ghosting issues, however, my previous to rMBPs have been Samsung screens. So either Apple is using them more often or I just got super lucky to get Samsung twice. Both of them are unable to reproduce the issue that I had with the LG screens.

However, when I first noticed it on my LG I also thought it wasn't that big of a deal since it was only noticeable on a grey desktop however as I kept using the computer more and more I couldn't help but notice that it started to show up on my then desktop and such and I just phoned them.

I'm pretty sure if you state your case you can get priority or just get one at a local Apple store and ask if you can just check right there and then if the screen is LG or Samsung.

5. kirky1234 thread starter macrumors member

My current one with ghosting issues is a LG. I got one with 16 gb ram so I can't exchange at my local apple store... But it should be possible to let the replacement to be sent to my local apple store and exchange them there, so that there's no gap between my current one getting picked up by TNT and the replacement getting delivered, shouldn't it?

6. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

I would just give them a call and see. They actually might have your model in stock... for me I was lucky enough to just get it exchanged because they had the maxed out ones in stock. You might be surprised so just give em a call... worse to worse they'll send you one and they'll let you keep your current one until it arrives.

7. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Just call apple so they can send you a brand new one , cause the problems is only going to get worse

8. phixionalninja macrumors member

Mine is also LG, for the guy who asked previously.

As far as replacements are concerned, mine is a BTO model, and they were willing to ship a replacement to me while I had 14 days (from talking with them) to mail the current one back. The replacement has already shipped, so I should have a good 7 days of overlap before sending this one back. Hopefully they can do something similar for you?

9. kirky1234 thread starter macrumors member

Ok that sounds great. Thanks for ypur help. Really hoping to get a Samsung this time...

10. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I hope you find a good screen, mine is great, has a sightly dimmer area in the bottom left but nothing that bothers me too much.

You just got to love the peace of mind Apple Care gives you. If at any point in the next 3 years my screen goes wrong I know I am covered and can swap/repair it quickly and easily. :D