Is glass worse than glossy finish?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pufftissue, Jun 9, 2009.

1. pufftissue macrumors regular

Is the glass-enclosed screen actually more reflective than the glossy finish that you see on most laptops today?

I could probably live with the glossy finish, but honestly not with much more reflectiveness. That might drive me nuts.

Thanks

2. pesc macrumors regular

Yes, the glass produces much more reflections, depending on ambient lighting. You should really try to see it for yourself if you are in doubt.

Some people just filter it out in their brain. If you can, congratulations! I'm going completely nuts over it. I find it hard to use the iPhone because of reflections, but that doesn't matter since I only use it for a couple of minutes at a time. I'll never use a glassy or glossy screen on a computer.

3. ..........? macrumors member

yes i agree it is not that bad as most people said. Go out and look at it and see it for yourself since you will be using it. Buy the computer that meets your needs and something that you like so you would enjoy it while you use it.

4. RKpro macrumors 6502

I've used 2 glossy 15inch laptops before I got the glass enclosed MBP. It's the most reflective screen I've used, but it's also the brightest, so it cancels out for me. If you're used to matte screens it may take some time to get used to it.

Sometimes if I'm outside on a sunny day, and I'm looking at a very dark web page or something, it can get a bit annoying, but you just tilt the screen away from the light source...

5. Feng Shui macrumors regular

In short, its a display and a mirror all-in-one.

6. Hal1980 macrumors member

You mean there is a screen behind the mirror?

Who knew, I could never see past the reflection. Did they really need to update the screen, I mean its not like anyone can actually see it.

7. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

I was on the fence, wondering whether to get the glossy MBP 17" or opt for the matte one. I did some image searches and saw all this horrid shots of unibody MBPs with reflections brighter than the sun, and figured that thing must be damn near unusable. But then I stumbled upon photos of the iMac that looked exactly the same, and since I have a 24" alu iMac I stopped worrying about the glossy screen right there. I realized that most of the people who take these pictures are bending over backwards to make it look as awful as possible.

My brain definitely filters out the reflections on the iMac screen, I've spent hundreds of hours in front of it and stopped thinking about the gloss after about 2 minutes.

I realize it's not quite the same since the iMac screen is almost vertical, while you tend to tilt laptop screens a bit more so that they might catch light sources in the ceiling, but... I'll take my chances, so I ordered a glossy 17".

8. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

Does the 17" have a glass glossy screen like the 15" and 13" MBP?

9. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Yeah, the standard 17" has the same glass, but unlike the 13" and 15" it has a matte option. Unfortunately the gloss isn't the only thing you lose, you also lose the nice black bezel. Instead there's an ugly aluminum frame that makes the whole thing look incomplete or broken somehow, like a car that's missing one door or the front bumper.

10. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Yikes! :eek: