Is Gmail IMAP unusable with Mail?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AHDuke99, Dec 1, 2007.

1. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I swear, I've tried everything. I erased everything in mail and resetup gmail imap and mail crashes when it connects to it before loading any messages. my other email from school works fine, but gmail hasnt worked since it worked flawlessly in the first two weeks. has anyone used gmail imap for a while? i guess i'll switch to thunderbird.

well i get a timeout for imap.gmail.com on thunderbird .. so i'll try entourage... maybe imap gmail no longer works.

seems to be loading fine in entourage.....i guess thats my mail client now :(

2. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I have been using gmail imap with apple mail with no issues whatsoever...

If you are happy with entourage you should stick to it but apple mail sure is worth another try in my opinion.
    here is a link that I think might be helpful (maybe)
    http://5thirtyone.com/archives/862#comment-52861

good luck

3. Liong612 macrumors member

?

I have no problem whatsoever using mail for imap gmail.

4. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

like everyone else gmail (IMAP) works just fine with mail.app

5. Alloye macrumors 6502a

6. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

I have set up imap gmail on multiple macs using mail and all work perfectly. I may be stating the obvious, but when setting it up you need to uncheck autoconfigure, change dropdown to imap, change pop.#### to imap.### for the server address and then just click click click.

7. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I've used Gmail IMAP with both Mail 2 & 3 and haven't had a problem with either version.

8. John01021988 macrumors 6502

9. AHDuke99 thread starter macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

i'm not happy with entourage .. but i cannot get mail or thunderbird to work with it without crashing the apps.

10. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I am so happy Gmail introduced IMAP. Mail's handling of IMAP wasn't the best, but I find it much better in Leopard.

I did have one problem this week though that the SMTP server just wouldn't work. This hasn't got to do with IMAP though and I think it's a Mail.app problem. I had to delete my Gmail account in preferences and re-do the thing from scratch.. then it worked. So strange.

11. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

i use imap gmail with mail, works fine, but now, i have more messages in my inbox in mail then i do online!!!! i accidentally deleted my all mail folder in mail, put it back, now everything is messed up!!!!!

here is the link: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=81379

click on it, it gives the directions, but do what is below first!!!!

dont forget that when you want to download mail in an email client, first, you need to sign onto gmail online, click on settings, and then you should see a tab about imap, pop, or accounts, forwarding email, just look for the tab that allows you to enable IMAP, the email wont download unless you enable it from the settings online!!!!!!, maybe thats your problem

12. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I use GMail (and Google Apps) accounts with Mail 3.0 on two machines, and it works pretty well except it doesn't consistently mark messages as read. Sometimes after reading all my day's messages at work on my MacBook Pro, I'll come home and they'll still be listed as unread in Mail on my iMac.

13. kvasir macrumors regular

Count me in as someone who has had no problems. Both my wife and I use IMAP on Mail and it has worked flawlessly.

14. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

maybe the problem isn't so much gmail but rather some corrupted files or messed up permissions?
    have you tried repairing permissions yet?

15. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

With Gmail IMAP and Mail.app, do you still get unread messages in "All Mail" after they've been read in your inbox? And if you delete a message in Mail.app, is it simply given the label "Deleted" on Gmail's servers instead of actually being moved to the trash?

16. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

for the first question, yes, second, no, it will be moved to the trash

17. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Hmm, still sounds like a bit of a mess. Thanks.

18. EngBrian macrumors regular

i have using it on both mail 2 and 3. The only problem i have had is that somethings (randomly) messages that i have typed in mail show up as multiply messages in a conversation...ie the first 100 words will be in on message and then the nest 50 will be in another message...all under one conversation...really weird

19. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

can someone explain to be the benefit of switching to imap. I have 2 gmail accounts that I use w/ mail, and one account gets mail forwarded from another email address.

20. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

POP is where the client (mail.app) downloads the emails, and it is all managed on your computer,

IMAP is where the client manages all the email on the server. So when you move an email to a folder in mail.app it will move it to a folder on the gmail server. This means you will also be able to setup your email accounts on multiple computers and everything will stay in sync...

21. whyrichard macrumors 68000

i had a million problems with gmail imap to work on mail.app before i upgraded to leopard. i've switched to thunderbird since. however right now i'll begin using mail 3.0 and imap gmail to see if it works, i'll let you know if i have problems.

r.

22. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

You should try the google help center.. explains the process for setting up IMAP on Leopard Mail.. its quite easy.

23. naftalim macrumors 6502

Gmail IMAP in Mail works well for me too. The only issue is that every mail also appears in the All Mail Folder, so every mail received shows up twice. If I delete one in the Inbox, I also have to delete it again in the All Mail Folder. I have posted this on the Gmail Help, but no response so far. Any ideas?

24. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I am interested in this also...because the way it is now you basically have every mail as a duplicate which is really a waste of space...

25. pixpixpix macrumors regular

Advanced IMAP Controls

Advanced IMAP Controls are now available via the Labs tab in Gmail Settings.

summary from Google Groups for Gmail