Is Gmail now push IMAP?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nsheikh80, Dec 26, 2007.

1. nsheikh80 macrumors regular

nsheikh80

I have had my iPhone since it was launched in UK on Nov 9th. Mail.app has been set to check for email every hour with GMail IMAP and has always worked a treat.

This morning, however, I seem to be receiving email as soon as it is sent to my Gmail address. I have tested this numerous times and my iPhone notifies me as soon as I get the email.

Anyone else noticing this?

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

My gmail isn't being pushed to my iPhone...i just tried it.

When this happens is your iPhone connected to your computer?

3. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

Gmail isn't push IMAP. Only Yahoo, which really sucks in my opinion.

4. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

5. m477h3w macrumors 6502

I just noticed this, literally 20 seconds before reading this thread :eek: I am in London and in range of edge, and my emails are coming straight through?!?!

6. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

I'm using .Mac and if GMail has push now, I'll drop the $100/year .Mac and go to GMail...

Anyone else confirm?

7. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

Just did my own little test and it doesn't appear to be pushing emails to my phone.

8. SRSound macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Mine aren't :(

9. IMcD23 macrumors regular

IMcD23

Iowa, United States, Earth, Milky Way, . . .
    Hey,

Make sure in Settings -> Mail -> Autocheck is set to every 15 or 30 minutes. Thats what I did on my iPod Touch with Mail.app

IMcD23

10. Ramchi macrumors 6502

Ramchi

My wife's corporate email-id which is linked to GMail used to get pushed into her Nokia E60i thru WiFi connection. But you cant get your personal GMails(basic versions) to get it pushed to your device - Unless I am wrong.

11. jeffreyfort macrumors member

I thought Gmail gave you the choice to be IMAP or POP3. I chose the former and I believe it is pushing email to my Treo with Chatteremail.

12. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Are you sure of that? I know that Gmail has implemented IMAP access, but I was under the impression that it was only the baseline (or "pull") implementation in which messages are only retrieved in response to a client's poll.

There is, as part of the baseline IMAP protocol, the optional the IMAP IDLE command, which, if the server supports it, can optionally be sent by the client to instruct the server to notify it asynchronously of certain events, such as new mail notification. Under this scheme, the client must keep the TCP/IP connection open after it finishes its initial contact with the server.

Push IMAP, on the other hand, is a protocol that extends beyond (but also incorporates) the IDLE command to allow such notifications to be sent using other channels (the draft protocol includes SMS, and it's been conjectured that this is the technique used by Yahoo! Push IMAP). This way, the email client can be idle, the initial TCP/IP connection can be severed, and you can still get immediate notification of new email through the alternate channel (SMS). The iPhone would filter all your incoming SMS messages, and intercept any of them that originated from a Push IMAP server so that they are handled by the Email client instead of being displayed to you in the "normal" SMS fashion.

13. nsheikh80 thread starter macrumors regular

nsheikh80

Sorry guys, must've been a false alarm.

I was getting email as I received it for about 2 hours and then it went back to normal. I was in a WiFi area.

Can't explain it but I assure you I tested it thoroughly from multiple email accounts.

14. aphexii macrumors 6502

sounds like your IMAP connection failed to terminate properly, leaving you connected to the server.

15. mas90guru macrumors member

Either that or Google is testing/updating IMAP capabilities. I remember when they first rolled it out not every account had it immediately. Perhaps this is part of an eventual IMAP upgrade?

16. palmerized macrumors regular

Weird that you posted this... I have gmail and noticed it seemed to be pushing to my Blackberry. I downloaded the gmail client for BB and seems to be working this way. It's been like this for the past couple of weeks...

17. skeen macrumors 6502

You know what? I experienced something like this for a little while yesterday. I have Mail check every hour...but I got multiple emails within an hour period. Weird.

18. nsheikh80 thread starter macrumors regular

nsheikh80

No doubt that it is weird but in the meantime I think I may have found a Push-IMAP solution!

There is an application called IMAPIdle available through Installer. I have been using it for about a week and it is brilliant. It notifies me of my email even before it has appeared in Gmail.

19. bmb012 macrumors 6502

I've seen IMAPIdle, but I've worried about its affect on battery life, with the author of the program says that he hasn't even tested...

So, can you tell me if IMAPIdle affects battery life...?

20. nsheikh80 thread starter macrumors regular

nsheikh80

Battery life seems to be fine for me. I think the author has listed all the caveats because he really doesn't want to get emails from people.

21. Aries326 macrumors 6502

I just tested gmail with my iPhone. No pushing going on over ehre.

22. lilnyc macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

I have had mine since June 29 in America. I have also noticed lately that my email pushes right through via my mac account. However there are other times when I don't get my email at all on my iPhone until I do a manual refesh and find that I have several emails piled up. My setting is on "check every 15 minutes" but that doesn't make a difference.

23. ac-mac macrumors member

i have been using pop access until i read this thread, so i configured for IMAP but my gmail didnt have the settings for IMAP, so i configured mail to use IMAP and it seems to be 'pushing' the mail. I have set it to check mail manually so it really shouldnt do anything unless i press 'get mail' but for some reason it does.

24. burnchick macrumors newbie

I does not affect battery life at all: I've been using it for a week now