Is Google Drive worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by The.316, Mar 30, 2015.

1. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

I really would like to go with iClouds service, but for the price, I think Google Drive would be better. All I really want to do is store my pictures and some documents really, and be able to access them on my iPhone, iPad, and Macs at home. For $2 I get 100gb with Google Drive, while you get only 50gb for $4 with Apple. Is there an alternative that Im not noticing? I saw Dropbox as well, but Im new to all this cloud based storage, and Im not that knowledgeable about the services yet.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Worth is a relative term, there are other services like dropbox, and amazon which just announced a new service. I use OneDrive, because I have a Office 365 subscription.

I'd recommend comparing what Amazon just announced to what Google offers.

My personal opinion on iCloud is that its very expensive and you don't get as much features as other cloud providers.

3. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

50GB for $4? You should re-check Apple's tier prices, they reduced their prices, I'm getting 200GB for $3.99/mo.

I wouldn't recommend any Google services, they have a habit of dumping services and there's no telling when Google Drive will end up in the graveyard along side the many other services they've trashed.

4. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

As above posters mentioned, there is a few reliable services you can use - Dropbox, OneDrive or Google Drive being main players along iCloud. I wouldn't use Google Drive for the reasons mentioned above as they can scrap it anytime if it doesn't bring profit / value to the business as they've done in the past. Personally I'm with Dropbox as the free space is enough for me and it works flawlessly.

5. The.316 thread starter macrumors 65816

The.316

Yeah, its expensive because its from Apple, but I just dont think its worth the money.

Made a mistake with the price. Forgot it was 200gb for the price. And thats good to know regarding Google. Ill check out Dropbox, and see what Amazon has to offer as well.

I really dont need THAT much storage. I have about 40gb worth of photos, and just some other stuff. Is Dropbox customizable, as far as having multiple folders? And is it easily shared between devices, and even family members? My mom has an iPad, and Id like her to have access to some of the files. Is that available with these services?

A appreciate the help guys!

6. bubbleboil macrumors member

I think the app that can best sync yr files is the best. Eg, box doesn't have auto upload app, one drive if u keep using office etc

7. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

Absolutely, my Dropbox structure is fairly complex. It supports normal folder structure and quite detailed sharing - shared folders / links to view folders only etc. With the paid version you can set expired links and more levels of access to shared folders too. Dropbox has apps for every platform so no problem there too. Can't speak for other services as I haven't used them in too much detail.

8. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Dropbox is quite nice, I use it daily. And, there are DB clients for iOS and OS X.

9. AlecZ macrumors 65816

AlecZ

Google Drive has not treated me well in the past. Maybe it's better than it was a year ago, but I had to wait forever for it to zip my files for downloading (which Dropbox somehow does instantly), and I ran into much worse issues where I randomly couldn't upload files. It looked good on paper, but there were those two flaws and a lot of other little flaws... and Google Plus.

I guess the advantage is that you get relatively cheap storage and a very good web-based editor for text documents.

10. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Try the free services. Discard the ones that don't work for you. Of the remaining, go for the best value. No matter which one you choose, it's unlikely it'll stop working all of a sudden, but if it did, they'd most likely stop selling new subscriptions but still provide service for existing clients until their subscriptions expire (like Apple did with me.com) giving you plenty of time to find an alternative, and by then, storage will have become cheaper elsewhere, with new services.

I use Dropbox, Google Drive and iCloud, and they all work fine.

11. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I use both Google Drive and Dropbox. I have 115 GB of Google Drive space due to my purchase of a Google Chromebook. I have found that the overall sharing setup of Google Drive and great collaboration are great pluses with the downsides being a rather lackluster sync application on the Mac. It works well enough for my needs, but I am not a fan of any program that goes against the UI standards of the rest of the OS. Dropbox is great and through referrals, shared folders, etc. I am up to about 4.3 GB of space. I find the programs offered by Dropbox on both Macs and PCs to be better designed and integrated, but Dropbox lacks the tools that Google Drive and OneDrive offer like Docs and Office Online.

Either way, if you can get a good deal on Google Drive, then I recommend it. I know with some new hardware purchases ranging from Chromebooks to cell phones, you can usually get either 1 TB of Drive or Dropbox for one or two years if I recall correctly.

12. The.316 thread starter macrumors 65816

The.316

Is Google Drive customizable as well, like creating folders, and only sharing specific ones?

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes.

14. The.316 thread starter macrumors 65816

The.316

Think Im going to go with the 100gb for $2/month. Dont really need that much, but I think its the best bet for the price.

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Another option would be to consider a new tablet or Chromebook with that offer included...

16. technosix macrumors 6502a

Google does a very outstanding job on apps for Apple products.

Google Drive is especially good, I've been using it for a long time along with Google Docs. Gmail, Calendar and Contacts.

It's a great way to insure your data is always available to you via Mac or PC, iPhone or Android, it's all very fast smooth and reliable.

17. The.316 thread starter macrumors 65816

The.316

Have an iPad Air here in my apartment, and an iPad 2 in my home in the village. I have a 27" iMac here, and a 20" in the village. I have a MBP here, and nothing else in the village :p Also going to have an iPhone 6+ soon, so you get the picture lol.

Question...if I take a pic with my iPhone or iPad, does it upload automatically to GDrive like it does with iCloud?

18. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. That option is in the Google Drive app on iOS.

19. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

I use Google Drive, I like it more than Dropbox or iCloud, I have 65GB of free storage since I bought a Moto G (it comes with an extra 50GB of storage, maybe for a year, I'm not so sure).

20. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I love Google Drive. I got 100 gb's free for 2 years when I bought a Chrome Box last year, and an extra 10 gb's for the Quick Office promotion for a total of 125 gb's. Before those expire, I'm going for the 100 gb plan for $1.99 a month.

Attached Files:

21. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That's a lot of free storage!

I just have the basic 10gb free plan and don't use it for much.

22. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Sure is :) Hopefully when my free storage comes to an end, Google will offer more than 100gb's for $1.99 a month. I'm not counting on it though.
    BTW, just got home from Easter Sunday dinner. I ate way too much!