Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
US
I just set up syncing for my mail and contacts from Google a couple days back. Problem is that I have no contacts in my Google address book because before Gmail's push came out, I had all of my mail forwarded to my Yahoo account.

I have my phone synced with Windows Contacts as of now but would like to get all of my contacts into my Google address book. I'd like to transfer them either from my phone or from Windows Contacts. I've tried everything I can think of and am having no luck.

Is this possible or do I have to enter everything manually?

nehunte

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2009
Google sync goes both ways. So, if you have them all on your phone, it should push them onto your Gmail account. That's how it works on my iPhone and everybody else I know.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
US
Google sync goes both ways. So, if you have them all on your phone, it should push them onto your Gmail account. That's how it works on my iPhone and everybody else I know.

Is there a setting I need to change in Google somewhere because anything I put in my Google address book goes to my phone so I know the sync is set up but it's still pretty much empty computer-side.

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
It is a two way sync, but the first time you turn it on, it whipes your phone contacts out.

That is how all contact syncing has been on the iPhone for me.

But you should be able to export your contacts from somewhere and import them in to Google I would think.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
When I went on iTunes I had my iPhone plugged and and under the info tab I clicked on "Sync with google contacts" and I think that's what you need to do.

vtmikevt

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
i know there's push Google contacts syncing through setting up an exchange account.

There's also a syncing through the setting in iTunes.

My question is if there is any difference in this?

I don't like using the exchange sync because it shrinks the image i have set for each contact to the small one when they call.

As a result, i want to use the iTunes for contact syncing. If i add a contact on my phone, does it get added to Google contacts? Will my contact pictures get shrunk?

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
i know there's push Google contacts syncing through setting up an exchange account.

There's also a syncing through the setting in iTunes.

My question is if there is any difference in this?

I don't like using the exchange sync because it shrinks the image i have set for each contact to the small one when they call.

As a result, i want to use the iTunes for contact syncing. If i add a contact on my phone, does it get added to Google contacts? Will my contact pictures get shrunk?

The sync in iTunes syncs your Mac Address Book to Gmail. Then your addressbook gets synced to your iPhone. This sync only occures when you sync your phone.

Using Google Sync, your iPhone gets new contacts and calendar events added to your Google account pushed to it and vise versa. This does NOT then sync back to your addressbook on your mac. Keeping all 3 in sync sucks.

My mac syncs perfectly with Google Calendar which gets pushed to my phone but the one thing left that sucks is contacts. :( I guess I don't really need push contacts but I sometimes go a while without plugging my phone into my computer.

By the way, I say push but I really have it set to fetch every 15 min or so. If I add an event to my calendar online I would hope I'd remember it at least for 15 min. ;)

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA
Is there a setting I need to change in Google somewhere because anything I put in my Google address book goes to my phone so I know the sync is set up but it's still pretty much empty computer-side.

You can go into the Exchange options (on the iPhone) and turn off contacts syncing so you can just sync with your computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.