Is GPS an extra monthly charge on the 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dianeLatte, Jul 23, 2008.

1. dianeLatte macrumors newbie

I just pre-ordered a G3 and was told by the AT&T sales person that when the phone comes in, they will activate it but there is an extra monthly charge for the GPS feature. I thought that was a big issue with the other iPhones and a big upgrade for the G3. Does anyone know if AT&T can charge a fee for an Apple application? I would like to have accurate information before I go to pick up my phone. Thanks!

2. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

3. terrrrrible macrumors regular

They probably meant if you were going to buy a GPS app from the app store or something?

4. mykoljay macrumors member

GPS is free, but turn-by-turn GPS directions probably won't be. It is currently not available. It will probably either be released to order through the app store (from someone like Telenav or Tomtom - look at other threads) or be charged monthly (like AT&T does on their other phone -$10 a month) - I'm guessing the latter.

5. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

Yes. It's a $328023043.57 charge to your monthly bill.

I'm just kidding.

No it isn't.

It's free.

Completely

6. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I want to know how much the turn by turn apps will be... because I always kind of assumed they would be in the 10-20 dollar range, but other people in here seem to be under the impression that it'll be more like 80-90... yea...

There is no way in hell i would pay that. $20 is just about my limit.. unless it proves to be totally badass and I decide I actually need it...

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

For other phones, a nav app with maps included so it can operate totally standalone, runs $100-150.

For a nav app that comms with the carrier as you go along, like VZ Navigator or ATT"s Navigator, the monthly fee is $10 ($20 for worldwide).

Collecting and maintaining map data is not cheap.

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Nope. The actual GPS service is free because it's a government-created (and controlled?) thing. Some people mentioned other software that may charge you, but the iPhone/AT&T won't charge you for it.

9. Type121 macrumors regular

Yeah, consider this. The 2009 Garmin US update that's out now costs about 70 bucks just for the maps.