Is Handbrake CPU or GPU intensive...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slick316, Dec 19, 2008.

1. slick316 macrumors 6502

I mean, which matters most? Both?

I am working a lot more lately, just stuck sitting in an office all day. I need to finish ripping my DVD collection, so I figure I would do it on my office PC.

At home, on my Windows PC, HB encodes quick, like 90fps or something (I have a Q6600, 4GB ram, 768MB 8800GTX, etc.).

On my MBP, it will go at about 30fps.

But my office PC, wow, its slow as heck. Its a 2.66ghz C2D 3mb L2 cache 1066FSB, 2GB ram, but the video card sucks (X3100 or whatever that onboard Intel POS is), and it encodes at about 15fps.

Is that normal? I thought it should at least match the MBP. Or do I need to have something on it checked? Seems to run fine, has no BS software installed, same as my home PC really. I should mention its a Dell Vostro 200.

Any suggestions? I have about 15 DVD's left to do, but I might not bother until I can do it at home since its so much quicker.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

CPU intensive...

of course a quad core is going to encode quickly because it has 4 cores.. the work computer sounds like a piece of crap.

3. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm...something is definitely wrong with that PC then, 15fps seems awfully slow when the processor should be fast enough.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ther is probably stuff going on in the background, virus checks... tasks from other computers etc

5. The General macrumors 601

Probably has really slow RAM or harddrive. There has to be something bottlenecking it.

6. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

I figured it out, doesn't even make sense.

I unplugged my external hard drive, as soon as I did this, the FPS jumped up to 50. It seems to be hovering around 45fps right now, which sounds better to me than 15fps.

I know its a Dell and was only $500, but really, the USB controller slowing down the computer?

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

once again, virus checkers??? they suck a lot of CPU.

were you saving to the external USB drive?

8. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

Drive wasn't in use. I plugged it in a couple hours ago, couple a few documents, and thats it. The computer isn't doing a single thing other than Handbraking.
    Its new, about 2 weeks old. I pretty much work for myself, and set the computer up myself. No goofy software on it. Avast for anti virus, Office 2007, VLC for videos, and Handbrake (Firefox also).

I guess there could be an issue with the external hard drive, maybe I should run a disk check on it or something?

9. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Very CPU intensive. Hopefully with Snow Leopard (Open CL) it will utilize both the CPU and GPU for faster encoding of movies.