Is handbrake encoding suppose to be faster on the Mac than the PC

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by nawoo, Oct 25, 2013.

1. nawoo macrumors regular

I have a PC with an intel extreme i7-980 extreme processor which I got in 2010 and an Early 2013 15in MBP Retina display 2.4 i7 processor.

I used the same 1080p mkv file with Apple tv 3 preset on each of them and ran the encode at the same time. The MBP is noticeably faster than the intel extreme..

Has the current i7 processor gotten so advanced that it can beat an extreme processor which cost me a bomb back in mid 2010? or is Handbrake simply more efficient when used on a mac?

2. mslide macrumors 6502a

You're comparing a fairly new processor against one that is 3 years old. I'm not surprised at all that the MBP is faster. You can checkout geek bench scores if you want a more objective answer.

3. brentsg macrumors 68040

If anything, the fact that the i7-980X has hung in as well as it has is the surprise. But yeah, unfortunately 3 years is a long time in CPU performance improvements.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Depends on the specs of the two that you're comparing. Either one could be faster. In your case the PC is slower.

5. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

You can check the rating of the CPU on http://www.cpubenchmark.net.

Your PC:
    Intel Core i7 X 980 @ 3.33GHz Rating: 8913

Your Macbook Pro:
    Intel Core i7-3630QM @ 2.40GHz Rating: 7756

Your PC's CPU is still faster than your MBP, though to be fair there are other factors at work.

MacOS is much more efficient in handling system recources than Windows has ever been, not to mention that Windows still lives a lot in the 32bit world whereas all Mac desktops/laptops have pretty much completely eliminated this and runs almost entirely in 64bit. Not to mention various other tricks Handbrake on Mac uses such as OpenCL, Grand Central Dispatch to control multi-threaded performance.

In any transcoding job, I'd bet on Apple hardware beating Windows anyday! :)

Out of interest, your Mac version of Handbrake will be 64bit, why not check if your Windows version is the 32bit version?

If it is, and if you can, try the 64bit version and run the same test?

6. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

Also make double sure that all the settings are the same between the two. It could be something as simple as detelecine not being turned on or something like that....or the x264 preset being different.