Is Handy Light safe?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheShinyMac, Jul 21, 2010.

1. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

I am lucky and got the App before they pulled it, I and many others are wondering if this is safe to use! Can we type passwords and the like? I wouldn't do any online shopping of course, but still is it safe?

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

If Apple determined it wasn't safe, I don't think you'd have it on your iPhone right now. They have a "kill switch" that can remotely remove malacious apps from your phone without authorization from you. They may use it regardless of whether they think its malacious or not, but only time will tell.

My instinct is that the app in itself is secure, because if it wasn't tech blogs like this one would be buzzing about it.

3. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Oh god man, you'll be fine, type whatever you want, take off the tin hat

4. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

I don't think Apple even knew that the App could do this, until it was published all over the web. They didn't test it well and this is why I am wondering if it is safe

5. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

I don't wear tin hats, this is serious stuff and I can ask questions about it. I hope you don't trust every 15 year old kid you meet:(

6. sleyeu macrumors 6502

could someone tell me more about this app and if it is a flashlight app, how can you tether your phone!?

and lol macrumours suddenly went iphone format lol

7. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

In the front page news article, it shows the directions, what do you mean suddenly went iPhone format?

8. sleyeu macrumors 6502

i dont have this app but i saw quite a bit of buzz and i wanted to see what it is...

Macrumours loaded with the posts really small and aligned as if you were looking through an iphone screen, which is tiny compared to the resolution of my mac's... It looked funny ;/

9. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Can you do a screen shot?

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

This is quite true. However, you can bet that they scrutinized in thoroughly after they found out about its hidden functionality. I think there is a greater chance that an app you already own could be unsafe, now that we know this one got through.

11. lilo777 macrumors 603

They scrutinized it how? Asked the developer what else it can do?

12. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Ummmm, I dont meet any 15 year olds bro. I'm like 30, wife and dog, I dont see kids.

And ummm, what info would the kid have stole? My udid? Itunes password? doesnt scare me, call me if he has my CC numbers and my SOCIAL SECURITY #

13. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Your like 30" Lol thats good, I mean what if the App gets your password to your email and the like not just iTunes.