Is having an iPad and MBA overkill?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Nikomanz, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Nikomanz macrumors regular

Nikomanz

Whats your take on having both an iPad and a MBA 11-13" ?

I personally think it's not overkill, but I am open to other peoples opinion.

2. Bigredhawkeye macrumors member

Depends what your definition of overkill is.

If you can afford it, then by all means have both. While they overlap in a lot of areas, they are still quite different. I love my iPad as a media consumption device while I'm just sitting on the couch, etc. While on the other hand I do all of my real work on my 13" MBA.

3. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

Not really overkill, but i think a better combo would be MBP 15 + iPad.

4. digitalhen macrumors regular

I carry both with me most of the time, but honestly, my iPad seems far more action than my MBA. It's plenty flexible, and much more useful on public transport, walking along, at my desk etc.

Depends on what you're going to do.

5. glen e macrumors 68030

Do a search

this comes up at least every two weeks here

lots of threads on this

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ummmm, no.

Is having a motorcycle and a car overkill?

Ask me when it's raining outside or I have a date...

7. jacob-07 macrumors regular

I have a 13 MBA and a iPad. I generally use my MBA for school work and the iPad for browsing the web when I'm home on the couch.

8. Nikomanz thread starter macrumors regular

Nikomanz

Very good analogy, really see your point.

I guess that I am really considering getting the 3rd gen iPad since my iPad 2 was stolen this week. But I also have my MBA, and when I had them both my iPad 2 usage kinda went down. But I'm realizing, yeah it's cool to have both

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

it is, especially when you need to do things an iPad just can't do. I love my iPad, but sometimes I need Microsoft Office, or Flash, or I need to rip a CD, or update the firmware on some gadget, or any one of a million things an iPad can't do.

I use my MBA a lot less, yes. But I still use it.

10. sinoue macrumors newbie

sinoue

iPad can act as 2nd monitor for MBA

There are a couple of iPad and MBA apps that allow you to use the iPad as a second screen monitor. Makes it very cool. Both are so slim that carrying both isn't a burden. You can also get an app that lets you use your MBA keyboard on the iPad 2 for data entry.

11. SevengerNC macrumors regular

SevengerNC

From a convenience factor you can't beat the iPad. I take mine to bed to check last minute sites (yeah I'm addicted) or email. Never thought I'd want one since i leafy ad the iPhone, but you just can't get enough.
    I'm waiting right now for the new Mac Airs to come out so I can become a real Machead.

12. N0ddie macrumors 6502

N0ddie

I'd say yes to having both being overkill. Only time our Air gets used is when the iPad is charging. Thats it.

Sometimes think I should have bought a Thunderbolt display to use with the Air as opposed to getting an 27" iMac.

Having a 27" iMac, 13" Air and iPad is definately overkill lol.

13. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I have both. They're different devices, yet frequently compared because many people may not be able to afford both. Or perhaps they're uncertain of their needs.

Each is excellent for performing the tasks it's designed for. I find an iPad a fun alternative when I'm surfing the web recreationally.

14. kitch95 macrumors regular

kitch95

Having just ditched my iMac for just the MBA 13" I can see the appeal- when my air plugged into my external monitor & in a twelvesouth stand I find my self wanting something between my iPhone and the air. Also the appeal of textbooks/ magazines/ kindle books and other apps is also tempting- if you can afford one, go for it!

15. LordVic macrumors 601

Sure, Why not. Go for it!

The real answer is thats up to you and your usage patterns. What do you think you will get out of having both? will you actually find use for both in different situations?

I own both a MBA, Playbook, Netbook, and desktop computer, and trust me, I get full use out of all my devices for varying uses.

Tablets do not replace the Macbook Air for portable computing. its just not the same platform and workflow.

The Macbook air does not replace the tablet when i'm out and justneed to check schedules and emails or show off quick documents to frriends, family and clients.

could I live without the tablet in the long run? yes. But I found perfect uses for all my devices.

If you want an ipad and believe you can get great use of it, Buy it! if it turns out you really have none and it's just a waste of space... I'll buy it off you :cool::D

16. illippinno macrumors regular

illippinno

A friend of mine actually told me it was overkill for me to have both an iPad and an 11" MBA, and while it wasn't necessary for me to have an iPad, it was great to have nonetheless.

I have my Air as my mobile workstation for doing quick graphic design and photography work (which is something I can't do on my iPad). Rarely do I use it for that purpose, maybe a few times a month when I travel and I need/want to edit a photo or do a quick design.

My iPad, mostly gets used for internet browsing and displaying my portfolio for client meetings. True, I could do that with my Air, but I guess there's an added comfort level for being able to hold an iPad close to you and sitting back on a chair, as opposed to leaning in to look at something.

I'm sure I can live without an iPad, but I don't think I can live without an Air (or something mobile in my profession).

17. Sackvillenb macrumors 6502a

Sackvillenb

Depends on what you are using them for, but if you have the extra cash, it's not overkill :) They have different purposes, and do things quite differently, so that reduces their functional overlap in my opinion.

18. jojoba macrumors 68000

For my purposes, they complement each other very well. The iPad is superior to me for certain tasks, due to the combination of stylus input, long battery life, 3G, and as an e-reader. In particular, reading and annotating pdfs (which I do a lot of) and taking notes works best for me with the iPad. When I go to conferences or I'm on the go, I never have to worry about the battery going flat or not finding wifi. I use my MBA for more heavy duty work and when I travel for more than one night.

19. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

Ask people who have multiple laptops and desktops if it is overkill.

Or who has multiple phones.

To each his own.

If you need it and using it for different purpose, and can afford it , why not?
    More the merrier.

I think many people have ipad and mba combination.

20. dannywalls76 macrumors newbie

I have both, and I don't see it as overkill. I even take both to work with me.

21. solderguy1 macrumors member

No overkill if you're an IOS developer. You need an MBA (or similar) to write code and an Ipad (or similar) to test. There's a simulator but it can't do everything.

22. caligomez macrumors regular

caligomez

Personally, I don't think so.. I think to have two laptops is overkill, but a desktop, a laptop, and a tablet each has it's time and place in my life.

Desktop : Home browsing, emails and communication services, media management, content creation

Laptop: Same as desk top (but during the day, at work, going from place to place)

Tablet: Media consumption, (and light work) but while traveling, relaxing, etc..

And since I'm moving everything to the cloud, everything is in sync (personal and work data). I find it quite harmonious really, and would recommend to anyone (if all apple hardware though :D)

23. bogatyr macrumors 65816

+1

Also the iPad is a great PDF reader for your technical documents. Best one on the market, IMO.

24. kooskoos1814 macrumors member

Exactly the same for me !