Is having more than 75 battery cycles on 3 months old laptop normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ahmedouvix, Dec 6, 2017.

1. ahmedouvix macrumors member

ahmedouvix

I bought my 2017 MBP 15" in september. right now i checked my battery cycles and it's 75 cycles. i am shocked as i saw some 2015 laptop having less than that....

is that normal? what can i do to decrease the amount of cycles?

i checked the health and it's still 100%

2. Modernape macrumors regular

I would have 90 cycles in that time, as I use mine all day every day.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Other than just leaving it plugged in and not using it on battery as much... nothing you can do.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

That's normal if you use it on battery a lot. its rated for over 80% capacity at a 1000 cycles, don't worry about it its there to be used on battery as a laptop a battery is a consumable item just get apple to replace the battery when you need a new one in 4-5 years time.

5. leman macrumors G3

Of course its normal. The more you use the laptop, the more cycles the battery will have. I get more then one cycle per day. The battery will still last for years.

6. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

It is completely normal depending on usage. However, cycle count says very, very, very little about battery health.

Much like cycle count, this isn't always a good approximation of health.

I'm far from an expert here, but here are some things I've learned about LITHIUM cells...
    • The battery will wear no matter what.
    • If convenient, recharge your battery once it hits around 75% - Light discharges place less wear on the battery than deep discharges, and lithium cells do not have a memory effect. If you use the battery frequently and only run it down say from full capacity to three-quarter capacity and then recharge, this places little wear on the battery and in some cases may prolong life more than simply leaving it in a constant fully-charged state.
    • Frequently running your battery down to the point of being near empty will shorten the service life significantly - Deep discharges place a huge amount of wear on lithium cells. For example, running the battery down to only 5% remaining capacity and recharging it just one time could place more wear on the battery than running it down to 75% capacity and recharging it 10, 20, or 30+ times. Apple cycle counts DO NOT DIRECTLY REFLECT THE SPECIFIC DEPTH OF DISCHARGE! What one company/Maker defines as a cycle may also differ from another. Consequently, cycle counts say only a limited amount regarding battery wear.
    • Leaving your battery at extremely low or empty capacity is one of the worst things you can do, and doing this often will rapidly reduce the battery's service life - Long periods at very low capacity causes rapid wear - in some cases, this can destroy the battery.
    • Applications that report on battery health statistics are not necessarily accurate. Further, the metrics that the battery reports (such as a health %) can fluctuate somewhat on a day-to-day basis - The value of these battery metrics are IMO limited, and the biggest single indicator of battery health should be the real-world runtime.