Is having unlimited data on iPhone AND iPad overkill?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blackberrypilot, Jan 16, 2011.

1. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

I have my iPhone 4 with the unlimited plan and will never give it up, but also have an iPad with the unlimited SIM. I don't carry the iPad everywhere I go, but damn do I do a lot of streaming of Netflix and music when I have it.

I thought about jailbreaking once a untethered jailbreak is available and using MyWi, but I also don't want to be a guy sucking 10-15GB of data a month on my Iphone and AT&T fining me or something.

Is having both overkill? I am paying $60/month for data between both devices. :eek:

2. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

I had both for a while. I didn't want to give up the unlimited plan on the iPad since I was grandfathered in...but found that I just wasn't using that much 3g data. I was on wifi much more than I expected. Several months ago I bumped it back to the smallest AT&T package and haven't looked back. If I'm doing something like riding in car and want to surf I just use my iPhone 4 if I think I'm near my limit on the iPad.

Steve

3. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

id keep em both if i had the ipad one. I have the iphone one and will never give it up theyll have to pry it from my cold dead hands.

4. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

I have a jail broken iP4 and use MyWi, I don't abuse it but I do use it. Sell your sim on eBay I heard they are fetching a pretty penny.

5. terencemac macrumors member

terencemac

With IOS 3.4 coming out shortly you could tether the ipad to the phone through the new personal hotspot feature using wifi.......Big but coming now...
    Looks like you will still need a tethering bundle though.....WHY CANT WE USE OUR DATA PLANS APPLE START TO LISTEN:mad:

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

It's not Apple, it's the carriers. Apple has nothing to do with it.

7. barkingDog macrumors regular

barkingDog

No (NO! ;) ) -- it isn't an overkill, save for the fact that you & your family still have money for the necessities of life.

Reason being, as is well known, once given up -- you can't go back. I'd love an iPad w/UL data to compliment my iPhone UL plan.

Yeah, there's the JB route, etc. -- but if you're asking about staying on the "up & up" -- keep it, my friend. I think [we're fairly certain] that tablet UL data plans will never be available across any given carrier in the foreseeable future.

8. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

If I were you and didn't mind jailbreaking, I'd go on the cheapest plan for the iPad or discontinue data, jailbreak my iPhone and get MiWi and utilize the unlimited data on my iPhone. Reason not the other way around is because the iPhone is much more portable than the iPad to use as a portable wireless hotspot than an iPad. Also, even if in 4.3 the personal hotspot comes out, those with unlimited data probably can't use it because of AT&T.

9. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Keep them both. Don't worry about 'overkill'.

10. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Enjoy it. I am jealous

I use my iPhone often with unlimited and get mad as hell that I am stuck with a laughably low 2gb cap on my iPad

If I had unlimited on both, I would love it

11. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I thought 3.4 came out back in '09?

Anyways, it won't make a difference that hotspot feature is built into 4.3, its the carrier that has to enable it. You can switch the feature on all you like but if ATT doesn't enable it, its useless.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I do wish at&t would start selling data to 'users' rather than devices. Let me use as many devices as I want.

I'd love to pay for, say, 6 GB and log into that with 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, and some kind of (eventual) 3G Macbook Air for my family.

And then let them all use it 'till it's gone. ("Get on wifi!" will soon be the new "Turn off the lights when you leave the room!")

Charge me what that's worth, at&t, and I'll pay it. But that should be closer to $70 or $80 per month, not the $125 they'd charge me now.

13. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

AT&T isn't going to fine you for using too much data if you have unlimited lol. People around here make it sound like the ATT gestapo is going to break down your door the second they see you using "too much" bandwidth. There's no truth to any of it.