Is HD Retina overrated?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rockies, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Rockies macrumors 6502

As a former Android user, I find the overall screen quality of the Iphone to be slightly inferior. I traded in my Galaxy S5, and the only thing I miss is the better screen. It had crisper fonts and darker blacks. Is this because Apple chose to go 720P on the Iphone 6. I played around with the 6+ and the screen looked a lot more crisp than IPhone 6. Why didn't the Iphone 6 get 1080P resolution?

2. af21187 macrumors 6502

No, it isn't overrated, in my opinion. Read the display analysis at DisplayMate. iPhone 6 battery life would have died with a 1080p screen.

3. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Crisper fonts? BS. Fonts on the 6 Plus are ridiculously sharp UNLESS you are using an app that has not been updated yet for the screen, or is using some kind of crappy proprietary antialiasing. From The Verge review:

Deeper blacks, yes, OLED has it beat there (but this is usually only noticeable in a dark environment).

4. Sanlitun macrumors 6502

Sanlitun

I tend to agree and this was one of the reasons I went for the 6+. I feel there is little real functional difference between the 6+ and my LG G3, but the display on the smaller 6 is quite inferior.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

This whole Retina marketing spin makes me dizzy. I wanted an HD iPhone. Thank you Apple for making the 6 Plus.

6. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I don't think it's overrated. When using my iPad mini 1st gen at the same time as my 6+, I can tell a big difference..

7. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Crisper, yes, the S5 has 1080p... over twice the pixels, almost a third more pixel density. 6 Plus is very sharp, I could hardly see the pixels! iPhone 6 screen I am impressed with, even though it has lower ppi. It just looks really good. Neither can match the Note 4 though :D

8. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

So you can make out individual pixels on the iPhone 6 + screen?

9. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

You realise both the S5 and 6+ have a 1080P display right?

10. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

OK, I still have the Galaxy S5 and got the new iPhone 6. Will put S5 on eBay sometime this week. But here is what I have noticed comparing them side by side, both on full brightens.

Colours on the S5 seem a bit more vivid, or saturated. Under sunlight the S5 screen is lot less visible then the iPhone 6 and that did surprise me because I wasn't expecting that. I don't know if that's the improved contrast or what it is.
    If I get the chance (and some sun around here) I will take a comparison photo to show what I mean.

As for the crisper fonts on the iP6+ I have tried myself and I think it is a mind playing tricks because it is a larger screen!

11. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

Guys. He's talking about the iPhone 6 not being as sharp. Not the 6 plus.

And the Galaxy s5 will be sharper for fonts but for most other things it'll be the same if not less sharp than the regular 6.

The Galaxy s5 uses a pentile display and that makes things a lot less sharp as not ever pixel has all three RGB colors.

12. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

Hardly? Meaning you can actually manage to see any? You must have some perfect vision!