Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justjax

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
So I'm a few days into using the watch for my gym workouts (weights not cardio) and I've noticed sometimes that the heart rate seems off. For example I was doing squats and expected it to be around 120-130 bpm and it was 112. I quickly swipped to calories and total time and back to heart rate and then it has jumped to 123. So is it actually accurately measuring it in the background but not always refreshing the data on the screen? BTW I'm in the default watch fitness app and using 'other' as there is no resistance training option.

Honey Badger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2011
I believe you can get a more accurate picture of what is going on with heart rate data from the watch if you check the health app on your iPhone and look under heart rate. I believe all of the heart rate data from the watch is transferred there and broken down into time intervals. I think you go to the health app, then pick vitals, then pick heart rate, then show all data. Hope that helps in some way.

Honey Badger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2011
And by the way, I use the workout app with my stationary recumbent bike workout. The bike has a built in heart rate monitor and so I can compare the numbers with my watch while I am working out and the watch seems to almost always match the heart rate monitor on the bike almost exactly or maybe a couple beats difference so it seems to me that the heart rate monitor is fairly accurate.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
So I'm a few days into using the watch for my gym workouts (weights not cardio) and I've noticed sometimes that the heart rate seems off. For example I was doing squats and expected it to be around 120-130 bpm and it was 112. I quickly swipped to calories and total time and back to heart rate and then it has jumped to 123. So is it actually accurately measuring it in the background but not always refreshing the data on the screen? BTW I'm in the default watch fitness app and using 'other' as there is no resistance training option.
Optical HR readers are not accurate in weight training because of vascular constriction.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
You should direct this at the OP and not me. I was answering the OP question as to why the HR reading was not accurate during weight training exercises.

NO, I am directing my response to your: Optical HR readers are not accurate in weight training because of vascular constriction" statement, Sir.

justjax

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
Thanks all, health app really isn't great not that clear where to find things but finally found the data. I think for tomorrow's work out I'm going to wear my polar strap and watch and see how it differs overall. I don't mind if it doesn't appear to be as accurate as long as deep down its show how figures it all out and the overall result is within a few calories a proper HRM.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Thanks all, health app really isn't great not that clear where to find things but finally found the data. I think for tomorrow's work out I'm going to wear my polar strap and watch and see how it differs overall. I don't mind if it doesn't appear to be as accurate as long as deep down its show how figures it all out and the overall result is within a few calories a proper HRM.

While you will get more accurate HR readings using a strap based HR monitor it will still not provide you with the info you are expecting. Calculating calories burned for an anaerobic exercise like wight training is not based on HR or cardiovascular effort. HR is really only applicable for calculating caloric burn in cardio (hence the word cardio) type exercises. However just put your :apple:Watch in Other and accept this as a baseline for your weight training session (that is what I and most do).

For reference Other is equal in a caloric burn rate to a "brisk walk" relative to your metrics. Just for reference here is a good generic caloric burn calculator that covers about every activity.

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.