Is Hi-Res any good for gaming?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by krispe, Apr 19, 2010.

1. krispe macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm trying to decide whether to get the Hi-res screen or not.

So I was wondering if the Hi-res screen is is good if I plan on doing some casual gaming?

Will the higher resolustion have any effect on the performance? Will have to turn down the settings, or will the Macbook play games just fine with higher settings and the high resolustion?

I'm planning on buying the low end 15"

2. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

The small resolution bump will be nice, though any newer games are going to kill the thing. You can barely play MW2, Crysis, BF2, and other new demanding games on 1440, let alone 16xx

But CSS HL2, other older games will get the benefit of looking a little sharper yes.

3. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Don't get the hi-res screen if you plan on any gaming - lower resolution but higher quality settings are better looking than higher resolution and minimal settings in a game. And if you lower the resolution on the hi-res then all the sharpness is gone anyhow due to the downscaling on the display.

4. krispe thread starter macrumors newbie

5. lacaid macrumors newbie

I am also in this same boat. I am eyeing up the a 15" w/ the hi-res anti-glare display and would like to do some gaming on the machine. In order to drive the higher resolution, do you think going with the i7/512mb model would be the path to go? Will having more VRAM (and CPU beef) help with the performance hit of a higher resolution?

6. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I was in the same boat but once I went to the store and compared them side by side I knew I had to have the hi-res (matte in fact). For everything else there's a distinct advantage to the added real estate and I couldn't pass it up. If your gaming will be done in a stationary location (desk at home, for example) consider buying a lower resolution external monitor for gaming. Might give you the best of both worlds.

7. Benjones-KY macrumors member

I got the high res screen and use my Mac for gaming. The two games I play regularly (Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead 2) both run at 1680x1050 on high. However, games like Bad Company and Crysis have to be played on medium at these resolutions. You're pick, but I prefer the higher resolution for both gaming and regular use. It's also one of the only reasonably priced upgrades Apple offers.

8. xibis macrumors member

Do most of you who game boot in windows via bootcamp?