Is Hollywood Dead?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rdowns, Feb 21, 2011.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

An excellent read about Hollywood and the films that get made. Kind of pathetic that new ideas can't break through the crap they make.

2. 184550 Guest

Read this a couple of weeks ago when my issue came.

Pretty interesting read.

3. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

They go where the money is, people will queue up to go and see Marvel comics whole back catalogue so its a safe bet. Hollywood does make some good films they just get drowned out at the box office. The Hurt Locker is a good example.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I found The Hurt Locker to be very disappointing

Which goes to show, people's taste vary widely, so it is hard to put a finger on what is good and what it not

5. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Agreed. I found that painful to watch. I kept saying, where's the Oscar caliber story?

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Just go with the classics and the ones that get limited releases in theaters.

7. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I don't think it's dead, but like the article mentions, the rules are changing. I'll head to a theater for a big budget blockbuster because the big screen is perfect for loud, in your face movies. Being loud also makes it easier to ignore the stupid BS you find in theaters such as babies (if not at a kids movie), people talking, texting, and so on.

But a drama? Since the wait for Netflix isn't that long, I'll almost always elect to watch it in the comfort of my home.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I believe the Oscar caliber story was a woman beating out her ex-husband and his 500 million dollar piece of crap movie with her 15 million dollar piece of crap movie for Best Picture.

9. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Well, it's never been different, I believe. It's difficult to find good movies, but they are out there.

I found The Hurt Locker to be a very bad movie. Where's the good story, where are the characters?

10. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Haha i actually thought it was quite good. Not as good as Black Hawk Down though ;)

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Too much targeting, and focus groups, going on.

Just find a good story, and tell it well.

Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon were but "B" movies in their day, and probably would not have been possible today.

12. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Speaking of unoriginal... doesn't someone basically write this article about the same time every year?

13. Queso macrumors G4

Films simply don't bring in the revenues they used to. Now it's blockbuster or bust, with the Hollywood entertainment giants instead concentrating most of their efforts on television. Globally that's where the profit is.

14. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

With films like The Tourist you can say its dying, but not quite dead :D

15. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Same here. I'm not a 3D lover unless it's done correctly (Avatar) so that's worth it to me but I always wait for feedback on whether it was good 3D or not.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Glad I wasn't the only one, though I did think it was a stroke of genius to hire Guy Pearce for all of five minutes, then kill him off.

17. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

The good thing about Hollywood sucking is the door it opens for an indie film to take the world by storm. Talented storytellers exist and they're making movies, it's just hard to find them sometimes. My city is considered Hollywood East, but most people in town, including the filmmakers, are just as proud of the Cucalorus Film Festival as they are the nickname. The Festival offers no awards and encourages the filmmakers to mingle, not to sell the work, but to offer insight into the craft. It's a great festival with great films and even better people. Support your areas local indie film fests! You'll enjoy it as much or more than a typical night at the movies.

18. Queso macrumors G4

3D is taking up a lot of time, effort and investment right now which could explain the lack of proper story development in some of the current releases. Everyone is trying to come up with the next Avatar whilst still learning how to use the technology, and a lot of the studios are also spending a fortune updating all their equipment to make 3D production easier.

19. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

Hollywood has been on a downward spiral for many years now and they blame it on piracy.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Studios don't want to take a chance on something new when they can just rehash an instant winner. Why spend money on a new screenplay that might not connect with the audience when they can remake a classic that will get people in the seats.

Just look at the 3-D craze. They can make a load of crap but slap a 3-D tag on it and people think it is good. That also gives them an excuse to charge higher ticket prices.

21. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

2009 box office was the best year on record (last data I could get) and in 2010 there were dozens of great independent films that wouldn't have been possible even a few years ago like Last Exit Through The Gift Shop. This article is sensationalizing a decline that isn't factually present while pining nostalgically for a time that never existed.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How much of the numbers were because of Avatar?

23. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

That is why I stick with the lame "horror" and "thriller" movies. They can be similar story line but they are all done differently.

I want something like Silent Hill and My Soul to Take with a bit of The Crazies thrown in.

24. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Meh. It's like listening to old people complain about how everything was better in their day. As if there was a time when Hollywood only churned out original works. How many 'classic' Hollywood movies are based on plays, musicals, books, short stories or anything other than an original screen play? Hell, Disney made an empire out of putting family-friendly versions of usually graphic fairy tales on the silver screen.

Lethal

25. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq