Is HP Becoming The New Dell?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by gkarris, Jun 13, 2007.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I read this article:

http://news.com.com/2110-1022-6190652.html?tag=tb

Then this discussion:

I haven't called HP the past year for anything.

So is HP becoming like Dell? I like to use HP stuff as far as Windows machines. Is it now just like buying a Dell? Are they going down the tubes?

Anyone with very recent experience with HP?

2. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

3. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

HP makes purdy machines, but man, is the support lousy, plus then half of them come back DOA.

4. tomoisyourgod macrumors regular

HP products, in my experience, don't use as much of the horrible cheap plastics Dell use.

5. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

We buy all HP servers and NAS/SAN appliances. That puts us into a different support group and the service is generally very good. Dell provides most of our desktops and laptops, but we are also introducing Macs into the mix. The Mini is really a great business desktop (I sure hope they keep it). All of our users can connect to the network through Citrix Metaframe. It is launched through a browser and runs great on Macs. So, the underlying OS is not an issue.

I have noticed Dell's customer service has improved. That is for their corporate accounts anyway. We seldom get routed overseas anymore. It seems like Dell decided to focus their improvement effort at their business market. I think it is the home customer who is getting stuck with Rakeem Singh.

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I've had a bad taste from HP in my mouth, since we got since we got a ME Machine from them...I'd chalk it up to Windows mostly, but the HP itself was never great.

Almost bought a Clamshell iBook instead, but my uncle swore on the HP