Is Hybrid SLI just a driver issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SilentCrs, Oct 16, 2008.

1. SilentCrs macrumors regular

I admit I haven't followed graphic card technology as much as in my college years (I know, I should turn in my geek membership card). However, from what I'm reading, it seems like switching between the graphic cards, as well as Hybrid SLI not being enabled in the new MacBook Pros, is more of a software than a hardware issue.

2 questions (for those more knowledgeable than me):

* Can Apple/nVidia eventually change the drivers so that a logout will not be required to change between the cards? I assume they can.
    * Can nVidia ship a driver for the new hardware that would enable Hybrid SLI?

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I would hope so. It depends on the implementation. I figure that , since a logout is only required, perhaps the Quartz Extreme (probably wrong) process needs to be restarted , while the login screen uses a default low level process to drive its video output, so it can be swapped with ease. (just a random guess)

Yes and no. Yes in the sense that, they can do it. No in the sense that, it won't be available at nvidia.com. We will have to get it through the software update, just like everything else.

Then again, if this type of GPU coding requires a major OS rewrite, you'll be better off waiting for snow leopard to be released.