is i possible to share your apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 212rikanmofo, Sep 8, 2008.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

Me and my girlfriend live together and both have iphones. Will it be possible to share the apps I buy with her? I bought scrabble and notice it has updated with wifi multiplayer abilities and would like to play with her. So that's why I am interested in finding out if its possible for her to share some apps that I buy. I know with videos and music I buy off iTunes it is possible. But wasn't sure if this will work with applications as well?

2. someguy7014 macrumors member

Yep you can actually. It rocks.

Each purchase allows you 5 installs, although i think i have done it more than 5 with all the jailbreaking and what not.

3. 212rikanmofo thread starter macrumors 65816

awesome, mind explaining on how to do it? Is it the same as with music and videos purchased from itunes? Not sure how this would work.

4. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Use the same iTunes account and tell iTunes what apps/music/videos/podcasts/calendars/contacts/etc. to sync with which iPhone.

It only works if both of you consistently sync with the same account. It won't work for it to be a one-off.

Edit: or maybe not?

5. paulej69 macrumors member

This is how my wife and I did it:

1) She bought the application using her Apple ID, and downloaded to her iPhone.

2) On my computer, I logged in to the App store using her login details, and redownloaded the same App for free, and transferred to my iPhone.

3) Log back in to the App store with my details. End of story.

6. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Really? I read that it only works if you use the same account. I thought that someone else couldn't keep the apps they got with this method. Now I'm confused.

Oh well, what else is new. :p

7. Rigsby macrumors regular

It works in the same way as music and video you share.

You copy the app over into the other person's iTunes, you authorise their iTunes with your account, then sign out and back into their account and everything should be hunky-dory.