is i7 too much for a non gamer?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by pensfan2010, May 6, 2011.

1. pensfan2010 macrumors newbie

Hey guys going to get my first iMac and need suggestions. I decided to get 27" but not sure if I need i3, i5 or i7. To list down what I do the most is

*I never play games
    *iMovie video editing, may be a 10-15min HD file, can live with extra time it takes to render
    *Photoshop CS3, small graphic editing nothing large
    *Eclipse and XCode.
    *External 24" monitor will be connected

Based on these information will i3 just do great? I don't need extra vram all I need is the power to handle my external monitor for regular stuffs. Can you guys please suggest,

2. archer75 macrumors 65816

I can tell you it will help with video encoding which will max out any processor. I don't know that it will be beneficial for your other tasks though.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You could use an i3 for that, and it would work just fine. You'd see a bit faster times for encoding with the i5 and i7, but it just depends on if that's worth it to you.

4. shenfrey macrumors 68000

I'm using 2009 C2D and I am not a non-gamer and let me tell, its like lightening. Not a single slowdown and picks open almost instantly. Not tried encoding though, I am just an average movie/music listener and a browsing guy, so even a P4 would of been a screamer lol