Is iCarbons the "Thinnest Skin" For iPad 3 ?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Scottyee, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Scottyee, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

Scottyee macrumors regular

What skin manufacterer offers the thinnest skin for the new iPad 3?

I prefer preserving the naked iPad's lightest slim form factor, so simply utilize an Apple smart cover plus a skin (currently a BestSkinsEver clear back skin only) on the back of my iPad to help prevent scratching as well as give the iPad a more secure (less slippery) feel when holding it.

Unfortunately, an "overly tight" or "won't fit at all" situation often occurs when attempting to fit the iPad (with BestSkinsEver skin) on to the following iPad accesories:

IK Multimedia iKlip Mic Stand Adapter for iPad

iPad AirHolder Arm

Devicewear: Union Backshell

iPad Bean Pad

is there another brand skin that's thinner, and more easily able to accomodate the iPad with skin. Any personal experiences would be appreciated.
    I'm considering replacing my BestSkinsEver with an iCarbons brushed aluminum skin if this iCarbons skin is thinner.

2. joekim1026 macrumors regular

i have the brushed aluminum skin on the back of my ipad 3 and i can confirm that the devicewear union does fit on the back! it is tight but it fits

3. Scottyee thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Joe, great to hear. :)
    How tight? Enough to create any concern that the tight fit might mar or tear the surface of the iCarbon skin?

When attempting to use my iPad 3 + BSE skin with my InCase Magnetic Snap back shell or IK Multimedia iKlip, the fit's so tight that it mars the skin's surface when putting on and removing the back shell.

Comparing the 'brushed alumimum' iCarbons skin that I have got installed on my Logitech Ultrathin keyboard, the iCarbons skin surface feels harder (and possibly thinner?) than the softer more pliant feel of the BestSkins skin. I purchased an iCarbons 'brushed alumimum' for my iPad 3 but hesistant to replace the BestEverSkin yet (I love the BSE's more grippy feel vs iCarbons harder slick finish) until I can confirm that the iCarbons skin is thinner and more resistant to marring or tearing when used with the aforementioned iPad holder accessories.

4. joekim1026 macrumors regular

well, i had the devicewear union on for a few days and what not, maybe took it on and off twice? and there aren't any issues with my icarbons. i have yet to use it with an iklip though, so i can't comment on that.

5. pmacuser macrumors member

wait i'm confused.. Are you looking for a skin or a case? I understand skin as the adhesive thing to put on the back of the iPad. Just like BestSkinsEver clear back skin. I bet Any skin would be slim since they don't make bulky skins. I have been using SGP Ultra Thin, and if you are looking for a case, this might be one of them. It's actually really thin as it's called ultra thin. I use it with Apple smart cover.

6. Scottyee thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Joe et al,
    I just received a nice email reply from Rosa @ iCarbons and she's informed me that their 3M iCarbons Vinyl Fiber skins are approximately 8 mils thick (.2032 mm). I've also sent an email inquiry to BestSkinsEver as well, and awaiting their reply.
    Until then, does anyone know the thickness of BestSkinsEver skins, or any of the other brand (Sticker Boy, Zagg, etc) skins available out there?

on a side note: I want to express how impressed I am with iCarbons customer service. especially Rosa. She not only returns my emails promptly, but has gone the extra mile to ensure that my orders are processed quickly, including making sure the shipping dept included extra cardboard to reduce the possibility of shipping damage. My last shipment arrived in perfect condition, and far faster than expected. Standard US First Class (Florida to California): shipped on Fri 6/15th and arrived at my doorstep on Monday 6/18th. :)

7. Scottyee, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

Scottyee thread starter macrumors regular

For those curious, I just found out (via Google) this BestSkinsEver thickness measurement information in this BestSkinsEver review. This reviewer used a calibrator and reported the BSE film thickness as: .010 thousandths thick which is .2540 mm. Unless I misinterpreted the information given, the iCarbons skin (@.2032 mm) is .0508 thinner than BSE's skin, so I'd expect the iCarbons skin to be a more a more compatible fit when using the iPad (+ back skin) with a back shell case or other add on iPad holders. What's your take?

8. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Based on my experience breaking the Union over the carbon fiber textured skin, I'm not sure all the skins are the same thickness.

Other than that your reasoning seems sound.

9. Scottyee thread starter macrumors regular

I just received an email from Tracy at BestSkinsEver, and she advised me that all their skins are 8 mil thick (.2032 mm). Based on that, the BSE skins are the same thickness as iCarbons' "brushed aluminum" skin.
    Its certainly interesting to note that this BestSkinsEver review calibrated and measured the BSE skin and came up with a thicker skin result (.2540 mm).

Ok, here are my current feelings about BestSkinsEver skins. I love its clear coated look and the nice smooth yet slighty grippy feel which helps to prevent the iPad from easily slipping out of your hands. The BSE does a fine job at protecting the iPad's aluminum back from scratching too. The criticism I have with the BSE skin is the quicker than anticipated skin peeling at the edges around the sleep/ awake button, headphone jack, and mic port. This started showing up only 3-4 days after installation, so I suspect the skin may need replacing in 2-3 months time if not earlier. I suspect the peeling may be related the type of glue required for wet skin installation, because the iCarbons skin, which I dry installed on my Logitech Ultrathin, shows absolutely no sign of peeling whatsoever.
    I Would love to hear from other BSE, iCarbons, and/or other brand skin users about any experiences with peeling, and how long their skins usually last.