Is iCloud already scanning my emails?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by pmontanarella, Jan 9, 2014.

1. pmontanarella macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,

I've noticed this really strange thing in my mail when accessing it at icloud.com, but perhaps not surprising. It seems that Apple is applying a "Travel" label to emails that include either tickets (train) or boarding passes (air travel). While this doesn't exactly surprise me, I was wondering if anyone else is noticing similar behavior?

It looks like the system is smart enough to only mark messages that actually include a ticket or boarding pass on it (something you need to show someone), and doesn't mark booking confirmations or even check-in confirmations (without boarding passes).

Perhaps this will eventually lead to the attachment in these emails being automatically downloaded to Passbook, which I think could be very cool.

Anyone else notice this behavior? And if so, do you think it's Apple preparing for something to come?

Pietro

2. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Can you post a screen shot of what you are talking about?

3. pmontanarella, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014

pmontanarella thread starter macrumors 6502

The green "Travel" label. It only appears on emails related to travelling and these emails are in my inbox. I do have a travel folder but these emails were never placed in that folder and yet they have this marking. Furthermore, other emails that are placed in other folders don't have any similar marking on them, which leads me to believe this is something not related to the location of emails in folders.

[​IMG]

Edit: This only happens shows up at iCloud.com, not on iOS Mail or OS X Mail.

4. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

5. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

I'd imagine it has more to do with the sender of the email than the content.

6. pmontanarella thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, here's a link

7. bripab007 macrumors 6502

From what email client did you take that screenshot?

8. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

No idea why that would be showing up for you. Definitely not seeing anything similar in my travel related email. However, scanning the email is really nothing new. It's how they apply spam filters and things of the like.

Agree that it would be pretty cool down the road if you could have it automatically plug that type of stuff into Passbook.

9. pmontanarella thread starter macrumors 6502

As I already said this only occurs in iCloud.com webmail

----------

Yeah, it would be great!

10. bripab007 macrumors 6502

I asked because it looks nothing like any part of the iCloud webmail GUI, as far as I can tell.

11. LoveMyPens macrumors member

Did you ever get this answered? I tried looking at your link but it's not there. By the sounds of it that email was to one of your aliases. Post a pic if you still haven't received an answer.

12. pmontanarella thread starter macrumors 6502

That's it! i didn't think about that before but that's what it is, the alias.

Thanks,
    Pietro