Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reck

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
I’m I correct in thinking iCloud’s primary purpose is to sync data (contacts, email, photos )between multiple apple devices, i.e. mac,iphone,ipad?

If so does iCloud offer any other benefits to single device users such as myself who just owns an iphone or should I just turn it off?

Thanks

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
yes and no because iCloud could be your main email as well. My MobileMe account soon to merge to iCloud is my main email that I have used for the past 4 years now.

mms13

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Another one of iClouds big selling points is the fact that iPhone and iPad users do not need to rely on syncing to a computer anymore. Since backups and syncs are performed via the cloud, you could realistically never sync with iTunes on your computer again.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
If your phone fell in a lake I'd sure think it'd be great to be able to restore a lot of your data just by buying a new phone and logging into a free service.

You do know that it's free, right?

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
For single device use are you not including a computer? Some advantages I think of even for single iDevice use would be backups and photostream

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I think the more iDevices you have the more benefits you'll see but the benefits of iCloud seem to reach even single iDevice users.

reck

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
I should mention that I use gmail for my mail/contacts/calendar and will be sticking with that in iOS5.

So it seems from the replies that the main benefit for me is for backing up\syncing?

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
i think their selling point is the more devices, the merrier. since you have multiple devices itll be so easy to keep them synced. i started using icloud yesterday and its great. backing up to icloud does take a little time but i think it will get better in the upcoming weeks. the layout of icloud.com is more enriched than me.com too.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
Yep that was the impression I was getting, but i've not used iCloud yet.

yea its typical apple :p

but this will make it so much easier for my family who never syncs or backs up, ios 5 will make it 100 times easier.

i got 10.7.2 from imzdl. works flawlessly.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I'm a google user too and sync with gmail, google calendar and contacts. Apple's native apps seem to synch well with google that I'm not sure if there is a benefit to switch to icloud. It would be nice if icloud had a migrate function though.

reck

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
Yes google mail\contacts\calendar via exchange works fantastically on the iphone so I have no intention of moving.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
yes and no because iCloud could be your main email as well. My MobileMe account soon to merge to iCloud is my main email that I have used for the past 4 years now.

What happens to the find my iPhone app? Does it carry over to icloud? I want to register my phone to find my iPhone so should I wait till icloud is out or do you still register it via mobile me?

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
What happens to the find my iPhone app? Does it carry over to icloud? I want to register my phone to find my iPhone so should I wait till icloud is out or do you still register it via mobile me?

icloud has find my iphone. it also has find my mac, but i am not sure if that is working yet, its not for me.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
Yes google mail\contacts\calendar via exchange works fantastically on the iphone so I have no intention of moving.
I use the same. What I use iCloud for (I am running the iOS 5 GM) is for the backups that happen when you normally sync with itunes... I want the backup of all my apps, settings and photos in the cloud rather than on my computer - I never liked the fact that iDevices were tied to computers in that way and neither did Apple.

I believe there is some confusion about people's itunes store account and their me/icloud account. Mine are NOT THE SAME. At first, it annoyed me but now that I see how it works I am glad and let me explain why. My wife, daughter and I share my itunes store account, so whatever we buy we share among devices, it makes it easier and cheaper. So, with my itunes store account and my icloud/me account sign ins being different, we can continue to share the itunes store account but each have separate icloud accounts for backups, storage and photostream. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
I’m I correct in thinking iCloud’s primary purpose is to sync data (contacts, email, photos )between multiple apple devices, i.e. mac,iphone,ipad?

If so does iCloud offer any other benefits to single device users such as myself who just owns an iphone or should I just turn it off?

Thanks

if you so choose, iCloud will become your new primary email. Also, just like mobile me, there will be a sync panel for windows, so if you have a computer (im assuming if you have an iPhone you have a computer), you can use icloud to keep photos, contacts, etc in sync. You will also be able to have your phone backup to the cloud, ensuring no matter what you wont lose your data (if you also backup to your PC, so you have one stored locally and one in the cloud).

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yea find my iPhone will be available. Anyways, find my iphone/ipad/ipod already works with your apple ID!

Yeah but I would have to create a mobile me account to have it on here

Do I wait till icloud is out to register it or does it just go through mobile me even after icloud is out?

reck

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
I believe there is some confusion about people's itunes store account and their me/icloud account. Mine are NOT THE SAME. At first, it annoyed me but now that I see how it works I am glad and let me explain why. My wife, daughter and I share my itunes store account, so whatever we buy we share among devices, it makes it easier and cheaper. So, with my itunes store account and my icloud/me account sign ins being different, we can continue to share the itunes store account but each have separate icloud accounts for backups, storage and photostream. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ohh that sounds good. My family do the same, share an itunes store account. It's good that you can have a separate icloud account for the reasons you mention.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.