Is iCloud worth anything to me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amazingdm, Jul 18, 2011.

1. amazingdm macrumors 6502

I'm not sure I understand the excitement over it... why are people excited about it?

2. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

It will backup all your app data, texts, etc, so you can restore a phone as new without losing anything. That's my main interest in it.

3. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

For me, it's wireless syncing. As it is right now, to sync my phone, I have to plug it in to my computer and run iTunes. At times it can be slow and give random errors. Plus, it's a hassle with multiple devices. iCloud solves this problem.

4. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

As far as I can tell, wireless syncing would be way slower than through iTunes. Or am I missing something?

5. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

What do you mean?
    I didn't know about this, I thought it was just online storage for music/photos..

I didn't know icloud was the wireless syncing part either.

Can you wirelessly sync only in your own homeshare network or anywhere in the world?

6. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

From Apples iCloud features page

iCloud backs up your:
    Purchased music, apps, and books
    Photos and video in the Camera Roll
    Device settings
    App data
    Home screen and app organization
    Text and MMS messages
    Ringtones

7. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

It runs in the background though, whereas right now, my iDevices are held hostage for a given amount of time while they sync through the computer. Also, this wirelessly mirrors content on all devices if you set it up that way. Therefore, if I'm on the road and do something on my iPhone, but realize I then need that file on my iPad to present, I don't have to carry my Macbook with me.

Trust me, wireless syncing - if it's all that Apple promises it to be - will make cables seem archaic.

8. dom9360 macrumors newbie

dom9360

"Backup" and sync accross all iDevices and MACs.

9. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Ah that makes it sound a lot better, I thought the phone would still have the "syncing" page up while it synced.

10. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

my only i device/apple device is my iPhone..

would wireless syncing be through my wifi network or through my internet provider?

11. bigbowlofjelly macrumors member

as far as i can see its got to be a wifi network, which you could just buy an unlimited data wifi dongle with you all the time

Not sure where you from, in uk you can use this
    MiFi Broadband

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Apple is smart by doing this. It sways consumers to stay within Apple's ecosystem. And it makes plenty of sense. If you own an iPhone or iTouch, why would you now want a tablet that's not under the iCloud. At least this is how the average consumer would weight in on their choices. I know if I was to ever get a tablet, iCloud would be a huge factor in iPad's favor being that I already have an iPhone and a MacPro.

13. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

The way the world is I just can't stick with one brand for the sake of sticking with one brand.

I like having an iPhone

but an iTablet is pointless to me... but would love for a Windows 8 tablet.
    and I'm a total PC guy

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

That's just it, some like yourself like the diversity. But most consumers have no problem with either being loyal to a brand as long as the products treat them right, or sticking with a brand for the incentives. And in Apple's case the incentive is iCloud being synced through out their multiple devices/Macs in a much simplier and robust way than it's competiors.

15. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

Will be no syncing screen and you can carry on using device regardless of whether it's a wireless or wired sync