Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gastrocnemius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
Cape Town
I have been travelling for a while, so largely missed the upheaval surrounding mobile me.

I also bought an iMac yesterday and spent a happy day transfering files, addresses, applications, tunes etc over from my existing Macbook (with reference to the excellent advice on this forum - Thanks)

I seem to be able to access mobileme from both machines by visiting http://www.me.com and logging in with my .mac username and password.

However, when I click on the iDisk icon in the Finder, I get a message:

Your .mac account is not set up. Would you like to open .mac Preferences and set it up now?

When I do this i can see that I am logged in wih my username, and can also see my account details etc.

However. It is not possible for me to use the 'sync' function as all options a greyed out.

Intuitively, it seems to me that I no longer need this functionality as it all appears to be there via mobile me.

THE QUESTION

But if so, why is the iDisk Icon still in my finder. Is it now just an historic artefact, or should I be still be able to use this function?

Steve

iMac 20" 3Gb 667 Mhz - OS X 10.5

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Whilst this will be no help to you iDisk is still working fine for me, it just has a new icon in the Finder (a purple removable drive with a white cloud on it)...

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
Run Software Update if you haven't already; there was an update pushed out a week or two ago to MobileMe-ize OS X. Not sure if the changes were just skin deep or what, though.

gastrocnemius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
Cape Town
Update - Now syncing, but still no cloud

Software update done. Still no cloud icon (just the iDisk icon).

However, the good news is I can now sync calendars and address book, so I am happy.

I think this was beacuse I logged into iDisk with my 'username@mac.com' rather than just 'username' (which is who(m) the software was telling me I was)

For the record, Mail happily synchronised itself straight out of the box (ie when I switched my machine on for the first time.

So (somewhat unsatisfactorily) the problem is fixed, but I am not sure why.

And where is my cloud ?

JNB

macrumors 604
There's a little cloud on the iDisk's drive icon in the Sidebar, as well as the dot Mac icon in System Preferences changing to the Mobile Me cloud icon.

Attachments

• Mac7.jpg
    Mac7.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 56
  • System Preferences.jpg
    System Preferences.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 128

max1018

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2007
Software update done. Still no cloud icon (just the iDisk icon).

However, the good news is I can now sync calendars and address book, so I am happy.

I think this was beacuse I logged into iDisk with my 'username@mac.com' rather than just 'username' (which is who(m) the software was telling me I was)

For the record, Mail happily synchronised itself straight out of the box (ie when I switched my machine on for the first time.

So (somewhat unsatisfactorily) the problem is fixed, but I am not sure why.

And where is my cloud ?

My system updated the .Mac pref pane to MobileMe after I clicked it. If you wait for a bit a message pops up prompting an upgrade and it downloaded the new MobileMe software. Meanwhile, the pref pane automatically updated itself as the message came up.

I'm not a MobileMe user though, I was just checking around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.