is iDVD able to keep 16:9 menu and play 4:3 video?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by D311, Nov 24, 2009.

1. D311 macrumors newbie

Nov 24, 2009
    Is this possible? One of the apple techs told me no. I would have to change the menu to 4:3. I have 20 year old videos that I want to play in 4:3 because anytime it stretches the top gets cut down pretty bad. Yet I would love to keep the 16:9 menu screen (theme).

Another question what is best resolution to use when sending old movies (4:3 poor quality) from iMovie to iDVD? Medium? or Large?

What sucks is when I preview my video in iDVD everything looks right. Menu is 16:9 and when it plays the videos it's 4:3 ( for some reason with grey sidebars instead of black). It's just when I burn it to dvd and play on home widescreen tvs when the problems start. The menu is chopped off on a side and the videos are being stretched.
  2. uuaschbaer macrumors regular

Aug 31, 2009
    I can't strictly help you there as I don't have a mac. But perhaps alternatively you could render your 4:3 movies over a 16:9 black background in a movie editing program to gain the same effect. Giving them black sidebars, so to speak.
  3. D311 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 24, 2009
    thx for the suggestion. I'm sure there is a way without using outside programs. I wouldn't know how to go about your suggestion anyway. It sounds good if thats my last option. Only programs I have are the ones that came with this new iMAC 27' i7. Not sure if any can do what you suggested.
  4. D311 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 24, 2009
    one time bump

anyone that knows for sure please respond thx
  5. jfreas macrumors newbie

Sep 14, 2011
    Yes, you can keep a 16:9 menu and play 4:3 video.

I know that this thread is pretty stale, but I thought I'd put in an answer as I have just done exactly this.

What you do is create the movie as a 4:3 Project in iMovie. When you export it to iDVD, go to the iDVD Project > Project Info screen and select 16:9 there. The settings on that screen apparently only affect iDVD's components and leave the content in 4:3 or whatever format you used to create it.

Pretty cool. Sorry it's so late ;)
  6. kimhill macrumors member

Jun 12, 2002
    That's the first thing I tried. For me, it still stretches.