is iDVD good?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ferri1c, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Ferri1c macrumors member

Ok new to the MAC world.

I have tons of movies in avi format. I know they need to be converted before using iDVD. I have been using a free trial of Divx converter. It takes for ever. Then after its converted I drag it in iDVD to burn on dvd. This also takes forever.

My questions:

1. I'm currently trying to burn a movie that is in 2 separate parts. Is it possible to burn the 2 part movie so it plays continuous? Please explain.

2. I have 9 days left for the Divx convertor. Should I buy it when the trial is over or is there better programs to use? (money is kind of an option so free or cheap would be great)

3. Is there a better, easy, simple, program to use instead of iDVD? ( Money is kind of an option so free or cheap would be great)

Currently the system I'm using is annoying and takes forever. Honestly I was expecting more out of a macbook pro. My biggest question is how to make 2 parts of a movie play continuous.

Thanks in advance.
    p.s. Just in case this is important I have a new macbook pro 15'' basic model.

2. Ferri1c thread starter macrumors member

3. iowamensan macrumors 6502

Not sure if there is a one step solution, but what I would do is find Visual Hub - that will stitch the two avi files together into one mp4, then drop that into an iDVD project to burn to disc. Again, not sure if this is the easiest way but it is the only way I've done it.

4. Ferri1c thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot for responding. I'll check out that Visual Hub. I appreciate it.

5. Ferri1c thread starter macrumors member

Just my luck. Visual Hub is no longer offered. If anyone has any other ideas it would be much appreciated!!!!

Thanks

6. iowamensan macrumors 6502

Yeah, they discontinued it but I'm sure if you looked around online, it still has to be available for download somewhere.

7. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Use MPEGStreamclip. It has a batch conversion feature, so you can put your avi files in a queue, press Go, and leave them overnight to convert.

Convert your two clips to Quicktime, using the Apple Intermediate Codec settting, then you can import them into iMovie and then burn to dvd via iDVD.

Patience. These things take time.

8. Ferri1c thread starter macrumors member

Thanks I now have MPEG streamclip and it works but everything that I have converted has no audio when I play it in iDVD. These were my steps:

1. Drag the avi file in the box of MPEG Streamclip

2. Then go to file and click export to QuickTime.

3. Then click make movie.

4. Then in my documents folder I find the movie and drag it into iDVD.

THERES JUST NO SOUND!!!!!!

Do I need to change any settings? The compression says Apple Motion Jpeg A, the quality says 50%, sound says uncompressed, and the frame size says 608 X 336. I don't know what any of that means. Do I ever have to change any of those things or will they always be good in those settings?

Thanks I really appreciate the help.

9. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Can't offer much advice I'm afraid. I have some avi files that play sound using Quicktime Player, but are silent using MPEGStreamclip. One avi is not like another as they can be produced using different codecs.

In MPEGStreamclip, try using the Apple Intermediate Codec for the the compression setting, Apple MPEG4 for the sound at 44000cycles. It just can be a matter of experimentation.

10. Ferri1c thread starter macrumors member

Ok Thanks a lot for the ideas. I'm going to try experimenting now and see if I can figure it out. Happy New Years!