Is iLife 08 worth getting for any reason?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TheBMill, Aug 15, 2007.

1. TheBMill Guest

Recently reformatted my PowerPC G5 (dual 2.5ghz, 4gb ram, etc) and realized: I don't have an ilife disc.

I was going to find a used version of Ilife 06 off ebay or something, but then I said, well with my student discount I can get Ilife 08 pretty cheaply.

Is it really that horrible?

Imovie isn't a huge selling point for me, I only use that on my laptop really. But, I do use garageband, iphoto, and idvd a lot. So, I'd want to make sure that was at least as good as ilife 06's versions---

2. glennyboiwpg macrumors 6502

I would buy ilife 08 as apple has provided a download people who purchased ilife 08 and still want imovie 06. (for free)

SO yeah have your cake and eat it too. ilife08 and imovie 06.

3. TheBMill thread starter Guest

oh wow thats the first I heard of that. Thanks!

4. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

yes - it is definitely worth having for the revamped iphoto and excellent imovie 08 - and also there is the bonus of garageband and iweb too :)

you can't go wrong when the price is right..

imagine a microsoft product (yea.. i just said that!!) of a similar type.. you'd have 6 different versions all costing the earth :D

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

hehehe you are SOOO funny!!!

thanks for the laugh

6. brogers macrumors regular

maybe, Maybe Not

I got to tell ya....I bought this yesterday and installed last night. I think this thing is very "buggy". iPhoto seemed to do alright, but now the little video movies that my son makes on our Canon still camera will not import...not that its big a deal.

iDVD would not even load. I had to go to Apple's site and finally found a document they posted that had me throwing away some Library files to get it to start. It is very slow. There are lots of spinning beach balls.

iWeb seemed to be the best.

iMove is so different that have not really gotten my head around it all yet. I think is will be great.

As far as other issues, after the installation, I had a new iTunes (same 7.3) but it was disconnected from the library. So while I was able to add all my musice, videos and movies back in, I lost play counts, favorites, purchased dates and playlists....what a shame. I had been compiling that information for years.

Anyway, I hope there is an update soon and I trust I am not the only one having these issues.

br

7. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I have a new Mac with Imove 08, but would be interested in getting the previous version. Someone mentioned here it's a free upgrade if you own 08. If that's true does anyone here have the URL for the download?

I am happy with IPhoto 08, but IMovie is very limited. I listened to a Podcast yesterday and it said the whole premise of IMovie is to do quick and simple video clip edits and string them together. I was hoping it would be more story board oriented with timelines. I heard that Final Cut Express might be a better choice for me. I'm new to IMovie, but I understand the previous version had some of the functionality I'm looking for.

8. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

For the average person who just wants to make some quick movies, iMovie 08 is great. I just made 2 movies from my summer vacation and shared them on .Mac and it was a piece of cake.

Cheers.:apple::)

9. stockcerts macrumors 65816

Another limitation of IMovie 08 is that it comes with very few transitions. I was also hoping for some special templates that you could place at the beginning and end of a project, like "the end". Right now when you get to the last clip it ends abruptly.

10. alzatron macrumors newbie

After several days of experimenting with iMovie 08 I have found that I cannot use it. I have gone back to iMovie 06. With no ability to set Chapters where desired (without using Garageband!) no timeline editing and no sharing with iDVD I found the program unusable.

* No timeline
    * No granularity--only global audio changes allowed
    * No chapter markers for iDVD
    * No Share to iDVD
    * Loss of multiple audio tracks
    * Loss of plugin support
    * Cannot change transition speed after inserting a transition without making global changes
    * No audio waveforms
    * Cannot vary clip speed
    * No pause control for titles
    * Cannot play audio over black
    * Cannot select a sequence of clips to move elsewhere within the movie
    * Cannot overlap audio tracks (again...no multiple tracks)
    * No themes (they WERE amazing)
    * Cannot extract audio (of course, you can't do much of ANYTHING with audio in this thing)
    * Cannot import projects from older versions without losing, well...everything important.

But what if you want those missing capabilities? Apple has a great video-editing program for you: it's called iMovie HD (iMovie 06).

I am confident that Apple will eventually correct this mistake. (I understand that Apple has made iMovie 06 a free download for owners of iMovie 08!) I believe that the best course of action would be for Apple to continue upgrading iMovie 06 (iMovie HD) with full support for iDVD and DVD burning. Rename iMovie 08 (iVideo?) for small, quick little videos or slideshows for absolute beginners that don't want to burn a DVD.

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I like iLife '08....iMovie is a step back, but in a few years, I think it will be worth it.

Like the OS 9 -> OS X switch

12. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

hmmmmm......Let me see if I got this correct. Those that have iLIFE'08 can get iMOVIE'06 free from .Mac site from other users!? Does this mean that iMOVIE'06 is compatible with iLIFE'08!?
    WOW imagine if Microsoft did something similar with the vista, they would actually have to pull the same stunt they did when they stole the windows program that the Mac was coming out with back in the 80's!!!

:apple:

13. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

For a 'heavy' iPhoto user, the price is worth it. It really is a fantastic update to that app :)

14. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

I agree that this update is buggy. I recently encountered the bug regarding not being able to rename events in iphoto. Sounds like there are work-arounds that I haven't tried....but hopefully apple will release an update soon.

15. Ghibli macrumors regular

You forgot one:

* no ability to send back the edited movie to your camcorder, in order to have a backup copy for archival purposes

16. phytonix macrumors 6502

the only app i use is iPhoto
    I think new iPhoto is pretty good

17. chug macrumors newbie

How do i get the iMovie HD? Just got my iMac yesterday and yes iMovie 08 is a huge "watering down" of iMovie HD...

somebody help..!!!:confused:

18. emegmac macrumors regular

I may be in the minority, but i love ilife. Iphoto is a huge improvement. I used film rolls before, but events just make all the work i put into film rolls truly gratifying. Also if you have .mac web galleries are super cool and way easy. I never understood imovie before, although all i use is a p&s camera for video, but found it to be overly complicated, and found no need to put in the effort. Imovie 08 is super easy to use. I absolutely love it. I've been making movies since I got it. Super easy to make a quick movie. Like I said, im not into video though, Im into photography. I have toast and have never opened up idvd, so don't know about it. I also deleted gargeband when i bought my mac, and did so again with this update to save hd space. My advice is buy it now.

19. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

I guess I am in the same category, I do a lot photos and image tweaking and other (Graphic Design Major) but I would like to get the most out iPHOTO as well as my other apps. (PS/ILL CS). I did a lil test/fun thing in iMOVIE on my PowerMac G4 to see how it runs and I was blown away! anywhoo from what I have read it looks like I may have to upgrade to iLIFE '06 instead of iLIFE '08..... :(

20. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Yeah iLife '08 is amazing. I totally love it. But as already stated, the new iMovie sucks. It's well worth the upgrade though. If you have a lot of time on your hands, you can read my full review here. :)

21. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

yea, im looking @ picking up iLife 08 myself (im currently running iLife 05 :eek:) but is it just me or did the student discount price go higher? Its $71 for Student discount....Didnt iLife used to be like $50 for students? I save 9 bucks...whoopdy?

22. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

it should be under "Applications/iMovie (previous version)" . go figure :)

i love iphoto 08 & the new imovie 08. i agree that it is not the same as before but i don't think "watered-down" is the right term. if apple has named it something like imovie express, i'm sure a lot of people will praise it for what it is. making express movies!

23. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

It's worth it just for iPhoto. and if you have a .mac account then it's just keeps getting better. I love iMovie 08, and despite what people on here say, it's a cracking little product for creating movies, even ones over an hour in length (did one of 1' 20" of my wedding)