Is iLife 08 worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cujoca, Oct 25, 2007.

1. cujoca macrumors regular

I want to upgrade to iLife 08' from 06' but I was just wondering if it was worth it? How much better is 08'? Am I going to lose some of the features from 06' if I upgrade?

Thanks in advance!

2. cujoca thread starter macrumors regular

Oh and I forgot to mention...If i'm still working on a project with iMovie 06' and switch to 08' in the middle, will i mess the whole project up?

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I think iLife 08 is a worthy upgrade from 06. It's worth it for iPhoto alone. I'm don't think you'll lose your projects but I've never tried it.

4. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

I LOVE iPhoto 08. It really is a cool program. And iMovie08 for me is exactly what I need to edit movies. It makes it so quick and easy to select a portion of video. It just makes everything easy.
    My only quirk with iLife08 is that iMovie08 doesn't import .avi files. iMovie06 did this, although iMovie08 leaves iMovie06 intact on your HD and it can import iMovie06 projects. This hasnt worked for me yet.

So, in closing. If you are really bad at editing as I am and dont need anything extraordinary, it is TOTALLY WORTH IT.

5. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

I doubt it will mess it up, but there is always that risk. Plus, didn't apple offer iMovieHD '06 as a download to iLife '08 adopters? I think this was because there was a substantial amount of complaints that iMovie '08 was crippled over the '06 version.

With that I suggest that if you really use iLife for iMovie, then stick with '06, especially since you're used to it and you're in the middle of a project. You can always upgrade to '08 and continue using iMovie '06 if it turns out you don't like '08.

6. Steve Jobs=God macrumors 6502

I would say yes it definatly is

And tpt he guy who said Apple offered iMovie 06 as a download, when i installed 08 on my system it put iMovie 06 in separate folder on it's own, so no downloading needed, well for me anyway, dunno if thats the norm

7. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

If you need to put chapter markers in your movies, or edit the audio levels, I'd suggest staying with iMovie 06. You can certainly play around with 08 and see if you like it. The improvements in the rest of the suite makes it a worthy upgrade, IMO.

8. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

iMovie08 does NOT remove iMovie06. It put it into a folder for me just like it did for you. So I'd say theres no risk in upgrading to 08 because of iMovie.

Attached Files:

9. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

I use .avi files in iMovie6 all the time, direct from my digital camera, what the heck is apple thinking here?? If they'd do some field resarch they'd know that. I guess workaround could be use quicktime pro to convert them then import into iMovie 8??

10. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

OK, sorry. I should have been more specific. I can import any movie type that Ive tried (including AVI) from a device. What I cant do is import a .avi file. Say I have a movie on my computer that is a .avi file. I could import and edit it with iMovie06 but I can even select to import this type of file with 08. So sorry for the confusion, avi works fine when importing from a device (digital cam, camcorder etc) but not when trying to import an actual .avi file.

If anyone knows how to do this, pleeeeeease let me know how.

11. Envykev macrumors member

I think it's worth it for iphoto '08 and iweb

12. logoshelley macrumors newbie

imovie06 / what video camera WORKS??

after researching, i just purchased a JVC MG330
    it records in mpeg2 format (which i was told imovie06 uses.)

i LOVE imovie06 and do NOT want to upgrade to 08.

the camera mounted and i could see my files;
    MOV001
    i was hoping to be able to drag the clips from the camera into the Clips Panel in imovie06, but it is not recognizing it.

do i need a converter program?
    what can i do?

please help!

13. Mac In School macrumors 65816

There is a free download of iMovie 06 for iMovie 08 owners. The download is only necessary if you're not upgrading from 06. Otherwise, as other have mentioned, the 08 installation leaves iMovie 06 in tact.

14. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well first off, I think somebody told you some incorrect information. You can see what formats iMovie HD (which is actually what 06 is called) supports at http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300829

You might be able to convert it to mpeg-4 (which iMovie HD does support) with QuickTime IF QuickTime will play it. I am not sure if that would require the QuickTime Pro package (as I do not have any mpeg-2 format video to try), but it is worth a shot.

If not, try googling "convert mpeg 2 to mpeg 4 mac"- that gives a lot of results to research.

Best of luck in your quest!