Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello. I am using iLife'08 or '09 (not sure which one came with my MBP 2010). I am considering to upgrade to iLife'11 especially for possible additional features to make Ken Burns Effect videos. In general, is it worth to upgrade? I read some postings that when iLife'11 came out last year, there were many problems such as users losing photos in iPhoto'11, etc. Have these major issues been fixed? Is the software suite reliable now? Thanks.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
I'm guessing the features you want are in iMovie? You might want to do what I did: just upgrade iMovie from the Mac App Store for $15 (IIRC). That way you avoid any problems and unwanted changes in iPhoto and save some money too.

I've read there's a fix to iPhoto '11 for the "losing photos" problem. You have to make sure you have the fix installed before you open the new iPhoto for the first time, because that's when it "upgrades" your photo library.

Regards,
Brian33

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I'm guessing the features you want are in iMovie? You might want to do what I did: just upgrade iMovie from the Mac App Store for $15 (IIRC). That way you avoid any problems and unwanted changes in iPhoto and save some money too.

I've read there's a fix to iPhoto '11 for the "losing photos" problem. You have to make sure you have the fix installed before you open the new iPhoto for the first time, because that's when it "upgrades" your photo library.

Regards,
Brian33

Thanks for the hints.

junk

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2011
Hello. I am using iLife'08 or '09 (not sure which one came with my MBP 2010). I am considering to upgrade to iLife'11 especially for possible additional features to make Ken Burns Effect videos. In general, is it worth to upgrade? I read some postings that when iLife'11 came out last year, there were many problems such as users losing photos in iPhoto'11, etc. Have these major issues been fixed? Is the software suite reliable now? Thanks.

Stay away from iPhoto 11 - regardless of whether it trashes your photos, it is a major step backwards in terms of function.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.