Is iLife/iPhoto'11 reliable now?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hajime, Feb 6, 2011.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. I am using iLife'08 or '09 (not sure which one came with my MBP 2010). I am considering to upgrade to iLife'11 especially for possible additional features to make Ken Burns Effect videos. In general, is it worth to upgrade? I read some postings that when iLife'11 came out last year, there were many problems such as users losing photos in iPhoto'11, etc. Have these major issues been fixed? Is the software suite reliable now? Thanks.

2. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

I'm guessing the features you want are in iMovie? You might want to do what I did: just upgrade iMovie from the Mac App Store for $15 (IIRC). That way you avoid any problems and unwanted changes in iPhoto and save some money too.

I've read there's a fix to iPhoto '11 for the "losing photos" problem. You have to make sure you have the fix installed before you open the new iPhoto for the first time, because that's when it "upgrades" your photo library.

Regards,
    Brian33

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the hints.

4. junk macrumors newbie

Stay away from iPhoto 11 - regardless of whether it trashes your photos, it is a major step backwards in terms of function.

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thank you very much for the warning.