Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asdfasdf32

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2010
Hello again everyone.
I am planning on buying either an iMac21"(3.60GHz i5+ 8gb ram) + iPad [OR] an iMac 27" 2.93GHz i7 + 8gb ram. I really cant decide, and really need your advice.

I will be using it mainly for photoshop/autoCAD/inDesign/illustrator/Games etc.
I wonder if this iMac27" is actually a lot faster and more powerful than the iMac 21" mentioned above?(well, can normal people tell the difference? eg when using photoshop or playing game etc?)

I cant really decide because I do want a powerful machine to use it for a few years, but yet 27" may be a bit too big and heavy as i 'may' have to move to another country- and i hear that 21" is quite ok in portability..(well its not THAT bad compared to 27"..?) (but I love its hardware, so powerful) what do u all think?

plus, if i get an 21" imac, i can afford to get an iPad for 'laptop' use..(tho can someone advise me whether iPad is actually that useful? To me its just a bigger version of iphone? and i do own an iphone 4.)

Your advice will be much appreciated and i wish you all the best - :) have a great day wherever you are.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Your usage will definitely benefit from the 27" and its horsepower. Neither of the iMacs can be considered as portable but of course the 21.5" is easier to move since it's smaller. However, you only move once so I'm sure the 27" won't be an issue.

You can always get an iPad or a laptop later on but you will be stuck with the iMac for good (or until you buy a new one).

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
cafe-imac.jpg

This guy has proven that the 24" model is very portable, and his age is easily 50+.:D

iMacs can go where the user wants them.;)

PS. This photo was taken at a panera bread restaurant which is located in the United States

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
How often do you plan to be moving? If you need to be mobile 6/7 days of the week, then get a MacBook Pro. But if you're only moving once and your computer is going to sit at your residence, then why are you contemplating between an entry model over the top of the line version?

As for the iPad, it's more of a consumption device. It's great for web and email usage and very light word processing. Any more than that and you should be looking into a laptop.

asdfasdf32

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2010
cafe-imac.jpg

This guy has proven that the 24" model is very portable, and his age is easily 50+.:D

iMacs can go where the user wants them.;)

PS. This photo was taken at a panera bread restaurant which is located in the United States

How often do you plan to be moving? If you need to be mobile 6/7 days of the week, then get a MacBook Pro. But if you're only moving once and your computer is going to sit at your residence, then why are you contemplating between an entry model over the top of the line version?

As for the iPad, it's more of a consumption device. It's great for web and email usage and very light word processing. Any more than that and you should be looking into a laptop.

Your usage will definitely benefit from the 27" and its horsepower. Neither of the iMacs can be considered as portable but of course the 21.5" is easier to move since it's smaller. However, you only move once so I'm sure the 27" won't be an issue.

You can always get an iPad or a laptop later on but you will be stuck with the iMac for good (or until you buy a new one).

Thank you very much for your advice- so its definitely the 27" then! Cheers again. Hope you all the best - :)

zephonic

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2011
greater L.A. area
I've been hauling my '07 20" iMac all over three different continents in one of these:

bnr_imac.jpg

http://www.ilugger.com/

A notebook is more convenient but the iMac & iLugger have survived airport security, overhead compartment lockers, turbulence and United Airlines. Not to mention bumpy roads and general abuse from a clumsy owner. So yes, it's portable.

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
I've been hauling my '07 20" iMac all over three different continents in one of these:

bnr_imac.jpg

http://www.ilugger.com/

A notebook is more convenient but the iMac & iLugger have survived airport security, overhead compartment lockers, turbulence and United Airlines. Not to mention bumpy roads and general abuse from a clumsy owner. So yes, it's portable.

you just saved me $1000

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.