is iMac worth grabbing?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gdeputy, Aug 5, 2008.

  1. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

    gdeputy

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2008
    Location:
    New York
    #1
    I'm interested in the iMac, but i'm wondering if it's worth buying right now.

    Is there chance of a new upgrade?

    Most importantly, what are the chances it runs Diablo III or Starcraft II? Those are the only 2 games i care about at all, other than that I would use the computer for multitasking as well as photo/video editing.
     
  2. Soxy macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2008
    #2
    I was gonna ask the same question so I guess I'll hijack your thread instead! XD

    To help your question, you can probably run D3 and SC2 comfortably but I'd advise you buy the 8800 model to be sure.

    My own question is, can we expect another update before Xmas? If so, what do people expect to see in that? Another bump or a whole revamp?

    TIA!
     
  3. NStocks macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2008
    Location:
    England
    #3
    I am im the same situation, but I have relised that waiting and waiting isn't fun, the current iMac's are brilliant super fast and will last for years. I know that everybody wants the latest iMac but even if it was update before xmas, it will be outdated in about 6 months. Now I am just waiting for the free iPod Touch offer ( if there is one ), the next iMac update is due for November at the earliest, now I'm no expert but from what I have gathered there won't be a huge update until next year. This is when ne intel processors are expected as they will use multi core. ( I'm told the Top end iMac uses the samekind of Technology as the upcoming Chips, and thats what I'm getting :) )

    I'm sure other member will have a better input, because I have not had any experience with Apple Computers, only ipod's.


    NStocks
     
  4. queshy macrumors 68040

    queshy

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2005
    #4
    there's really no point in waiting for the iMac. The Mac mini, yes. But the iMac, definitely not.

    The new iMacs are beastly in performance and beautiful in design...even if it is updated...which it eventually will be...yours will still be great for years to come.
     
  5. revenuee macrumors 68020

    revenuee

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2003
    Location:
    A place where i am supreme emporer
    #5
    well the last update for the iMac was April 28th 2008 -- which is 100 days

    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac

    it says the average update time is 211 days so you would be half way there

    I bought my iMac when the Alum iMacs were first released -- so it's approaching a year FAST

    you could wait for mac expo paris ... MAYBE they'll be a revision ...

    is the tech there for 2 dual chips or quad core chips for the iMacs?

    this is a common theme on the forum ... you could wait and wait ... because there will always be the NEXT big thing
     
  6. hank-b macrumors member

    hank-b

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2008
    #6
    I think the next really exciting thing in the iMac world will be Snow Leopard, which drops PPC support. I can't remember when this is supposed to be released though...

    - HB
     
  7. NStocks macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2008
    Location:
    England
    #7
    With Snow Leopard, apple will still make use of the current generation iMacs won't they, in terms of otimizing hem aswell as the newer models. Since I'm new to Mac I don't know how they do things I only know that Microsoft requires huge upgrades for it to make full use of the latest OS.

    NStocks
     
  8. tri3limited macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2008
    Location:
    London
    #8
    I can't see an iMac update till Jan at earliest... Might as well buy now as i really can't see them going quad core til the prices go down, possibly at the same time as SL release.

    Buy what you can afford... No reason to wait as the current models will do any task you want well.

    Plus i doubt quad core this soon as it will clash with the base Mac Pro model.
     
  9. revenuee macrumors 68020

    revenuee

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2003
    Location:
    A place where i am supreme emporer
  10. passingXstorm macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2008
    #10
    I bought mine on Saturday. I love it, best computer I've ever had. I say go for it.
     
  11. gdeputy thread starter macrumors 6502a

    gdeputy

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2008
    Location:
    New York
    #11
    Yeah I mean, it's a really nice computer, but I don't buy computers THAT often, and It IS important that it runs those two games.

    Whats MORE important though is that they don't come out with some crazy revision.

    Does anyone have a site that has a breakdown of the graphics card performance. As far as actual design, I don't see how they can get much better looking, absolutely jaw dropping.

    If I did buy, I would go for the 24".
     
  12. rookies macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2008
    #12
    Have you decided what to do ? as I am in the same boat as you
     
  13. The Hammer macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2008
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada
    #13
    I'm waiting to January if there is no refresh in the fall pending new rumours of course.;)
     
  14. lilpin0y macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2008
    #14
    i would wait to see if apple will put a 8800GT or 9800GT into the iMacs. Both cards are small and can even run Crysis on high (30fps). Plus the cards are only $100-$200 now.
     
  15. tri3limited macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2008
    Location:
    London
    #15
    Buy now if you want to... Every time a new machine comes out the next bigger better one is around the corner.

    If it's January or later the design will be the same, the cards... might improve slightly but not a lot, and the processor might increase (doubt to a mobile quad until nearer SL if not way after).

    I don't think the next iMac update will give you the power of the Mac Pro at iMac pricing as the quad core would step right on top of the Mac Pro. If they do offer it it'll be the top CTO option and would cost a lot extra.

    My advice... Buy Now!
     
  16. VishanBaldew macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2008
    #16
    If you are waiting, you'll always be waiting, there is always a better version in the future.

    so my advice:

    BUY NOW!!!
     

Share This Page